Resizing a group of parts based on one part in the group

When opening a file with numerous parts, is there a way to resize all parts based on selecting one part in the group and sizing it to the correct size? For instance, the main part has accessory parts and I want the main part a specific size and all other parts to be sized accordingly?

I have wanted to do this many times… I have yet to find an answer.
I just spent some time with the “Two Point Rotate/Scale” tool… and although it sort of does what we want (if you hold Shift down it will scale dynamically), but you are still unable to just type in a new value and have everything in the selection (or group) scale accordingly and not rotate as well.

Maybe there is more to this tool than is documented, because I’m surprised that the tool is called “Scale” but the documentation only explains its Rotate feature. See below:

I have a good idea of how to do this but if you could attach an example file we can take a look.

Also just found this post… perhaps with “Snap” enabled, we can get what we desire.

I’d do it like this: duplicate the main part. Resize it to your requirements. Compare the old and new size (you’ll get the difference percentage). Then select all parts at once, and enter the new size into the percentage fields in the toolbar. Delete the duplicate.

Too much work, and room for rounding errors.

The two point tool will work, but you need to create a construction line that is the correct length (and vector direction) you intend to scale to… and then use the snapping feature while holding the Shift key down. All items will scale, and rotate… but by snapping to the construction line, you can eliminate the unnecessary rotation.

Cumbersome, but precise. I’d give an example, but don’t have any screen capture tool on this system.

Ideally, (read: more CADlike) we could just select the items (grouped or not) then chose a specific component within that selection, and have a dialog box pop up asking for a new value for that component (Line - length, Circle - diameter, Arc - angle, Etc…).

Jim

You don’t need to use percentages, you can also use actual sizes. From my first impression, a construction line approach will be more prone to errors… And I think rounding errors are in a margin that can absolutely be neglected in most cases. But of course, do as you like :slight_smile: I never had a problem using the percentage approach.

Sorry, it’s just that I grew up with 30 years of Double Precision Floating Point CAD systems (and 14 decimal places of value). I know that Lightburn is Singe Precision, and that once it’s handed to stepper motors, the variance is even more diluted… but I think in CAD, and am used to such tools at my fingertips.

No offence to Lightburn (or you) is intended… it’s an amazing tool and an amazing value. But scaling a group to match or scaling them based on existing vectors would be a nice option to have.

Jim

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.