Rotary distortion while burning only

MacOS Monterey 12.3.1
Lightburn 1.2.01
K40 with V2 board
xTool RA2 Pro Rotary

I’m trying to burn an image on a beer mug for a neighbor. I’m using the middle right for starting position so that the image is centered on the mug. The image appears to be correct when framing, however when it starts burning it doesn’t move as far in Y(rotary) and starts burning almost an inch from where it just framed. There is only 1 layer (best I’ve found for quality) and image isn’t holding any artifacts outside of the desired image. I can’t figure out what is causing the issue. I would love to do a trial run, but this beer nub was supplied by him and I have no others to figure out the issues on. I’m sure I’m forgetting information y’all might want to see, if there is I’ll screenshot and upload.

Having ‘one’ of something and attempting an engraving is not a good procedure…

Mugs have different types/thickness of coatings that can dramatically effect the outcome.

Unfortunately, I don’t own one of those machines

Is this a new rotary?
Have you done mugs before without this being an issue? Is it a new problem or an existing one.

Is this ‘outside’ where it framed?

:smile_cat:

I agree, normally I use my own stuff and do several tests to make sure it’s going properly. However I have yet to find beer MUGS (that’s for you autofuqitup!) that I’m happy with outside of ordering $150+ at a time.

Rotary is about 2 mo I think, been working good once I got the mm/rotation figured out. This is the first time something like this has shown up, however it’s also the first time since I burned with 1.2.01 I think. My shot glasses and regular tapered glasses come out great, or a t least as expected with the taper and no correction. In this case however, changing the mm/rotation and object diameter doesn’t effect anything.

The only thing I can think of is to grab a tin can that is about the same diameter, paint it, burn it, and see if the image is being shrunk in the Y action or if it is being moved instead. As soon as I saw the issue I stopped it immediately so as to save the mug. I also turned the laser down to 1% as well. I’ll keep working on the issue today and see what happens. I am also going to do a complete reboot of the computer and see if that helps.

Image size is about 3.5 x 4.75 and framing appears to be correct, but actual laser burn is about an inch inside the framing, which is on the Y axis (axis of rotation) and the X axis appears to be fine.

If your rotary rotates the chuck one turn and back with the test button, then it’s properly set.

I generally cringe when people change the step … on the controllers I use, that is a mistake as the machine knows the how to make the chuck (or driving wheel) turn one turn.

I would think you’d induce a problem changing the steps/rotation, which would change the Y dimensions of the object. With a chuck you should only have to change the diameter so it can compute the ‘surface speed’.

I suggest you re-check how it’s setup… Don’t you keep a copy of the configuration specifically for your rotary?

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.