Rotary engraving another jagged wavy edges topic

Y axis, in this case, is the rotary, correct?

How is the rotary motor connected to the rotary chuck? Direct drive, belt, gear? I’m gonna call it something in the chuck drivetrain unless it’s direct drive.

The rotary does have a drive belt on it. I tore it down completely and checked everything for tightness. The jack shaft for the rotary chuck is supported by 2 bearings. They are Chinesium and do have some slop in them to the tune of 10 thou. I clamped the gantry down on both sides to see if it was vibrating or moving and there was no discernible difference. Next, I started adding overscan as James suggested in fill mode. I started at 5 and moved up in increments of 3 and started noticing a difference. I settled on 15% for the moment after numerous test. It is not perfect but its good enough for my eyes. I also slowed the circle and ellipse line engrave down to 2000 mm/min to see if the line quality improved and it did somewhat. My next step is to order a couple different bearings and try to get the jack shaft play reduced. I don’t know if it will make a substantial difference but its worth trying. Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Its great to have a resource that is composed of actual users.

If you look at the path it takes it’s real close to a dampened sinusoidal wave form or ringing… something isn’t snugged down…

Having the background move as it rings will skew the laser path…

It’s real easy to miss these mechanical issues, they may be the worst to identify… They axes it appears to be is the Y as that’s the most prominent directions.

These things a made in high numbers and are dependable. Looking at bearings and such, IMHO is a waste of time…

:smile_cat:

Definitely going to go over my setup again to verify that everything is snugged down. The frame is fastened to a spoil board. The spoil board sits on a wooden bench. I have the air assist pump separated from the bench to isolate vibration.

Wanted to update the thread with my findings and results for anyone else experiencing a similar issue. Went back through laser frame rechecking belts, rollers, drive pulleys, etc. Re-ran tests and received the same results. Concentrated on rotary. I have a 3d printer with the same stepper motor. Swapped stepper motor and boom! Good results. Removed overscan from LB settings and still had good results. Installed old motor to duplicate issue and the results were back to wavy lines. Ordered new stepper motor Stepper motor link Received yesterday and installed it this morning. These are the results.

Thanks to all who have chimed in for ideas and suggestions.