Rotary function problem

Redsail 700 CO2 laser. RUIDA RDC6445G, V15.01.22, HMI-V10.03.04

I have used Lightburn for a couple of years successfully. I recently got a rotary from the manufacturer and installed per their spec’s. Rotary functions that work with Lightburn are both “frame” functions and the “Send” function. However, “start” does not initiate the burn/rotary process. Sending the file to the RUIDA control downloads the file. However manually initiating the file from this controller still does not operate the Y-axis, only the X-axis. And I get a “slop” error. The process file is just the letter “g” from a standard typeset.

I’m not getting any help from the manufacturer. Is this a software problem? Possibly firmware? I have a video of this malfunctioning file. If this will help, let me know how to send it to you.

I’d say user error… off hand

Most likely is that your rotary is at it’s maximum and to rotate it past that point causes the slop error you’re seeing.

Do these work?

Send transfers the file to the Ruida, you have to use the console to start the job… Start sends and starts the file…

When you start the job, what are the X and Y values in the Ruida controller.

A slop error is the machine going out of bounds or it’s work area. Usually this occurs when you are scanning, but can occur anywhere the machine may be driven out of the defined work area.

Maybe you can clarify your procedure, starting with putting in the rotary.

:smile_cat:

My graphic is a single letter “g” in a standard typeset at about 10mm size. The rotary is set well within the bounds of my machine. I am using a slow speed to mitigate the “slop” problem that arises with high speeds. I can get you a short video of the software/machine operation if you tell me how to send it to you. I am willing to send you the LB file as well. I have been using LB for a couple of years on the flatbed very successfully.

If this were the case, you wouldn’t get a slop error… and changing speeds would have no effect.

If it’s on a rotary, the only real working axes is the X axes which has to have room (overscan) to get to the specified scanning speed …

The grid is the max work area of the laser. My target area for the graphic (10mm x 10mm) letter is about middle of the wine glass. Travel speed is 100. I can do this all day as a flatbed project. Also, the X axis still moves and fires on the rotary. The Y axis does not move. I greatly appreciate your feedback. Can you suggest any test that may give us more information to solve this problem?

What happens, mostly is the rotary position isn’t where you think it is… that’s Y if that’s your rotary.

Check out the X and Y coordinates on the machine console.

When the controller gives you the error, it sometimes tells you more information, such as slop error Y, identifying which axes has the issue.

I’m pretty confident it’s the Y axes, but your console numbers may help me.

What is your start from and job origin settings?

Before you run the job that gets the error, get the X and Y values from the console.

Seeing that it appears to frame properly, it is detecting an overscan issue.

I did not realize that the circumference of the part is used by the RUIDA control to determine “slop”. Apparently the RUIDA uses the length of the circumference from the part origin (center of the chuck) to the extent of the circumference on a flat horizontal plane, as a reference. When I moved my chuck further to the center of the machine, the slop error went away. YOU ARE A GENIOUS. Operator error it is. During operation, the (RUIDA) displayed coordinates indicated almost the exact dimensions of the graphic. The RUIDA graphic displayed shows the laser movements in both axes. However, the Y-axis still does not move. Do you know of a site where I can download the latest RUIDA firmware? Hopefully that will fix the problem.

What firmware is actually on your Ruida?

I don’t recommend doing a firmware update unless you know there is an issue with the version you are using and this will correct the problem.

Mine works fine with my current version and I would wager yours does also… There is always a risk of bricking a controller, which is worse…

I still think you have something not operating/configured properly and that won’t likely get fixed with a firmware update.

The machine doesn’t really know it’s a rotary, as far as I know, it’s just that it’s basic coordinate system is driving the machine out of the defined work area. It just wraps the Y axes around the object. You will get the same error if you do it on the table and get your item near the edge where the head has to slow down, change direction and accelerate back to speed… This has to occur within the machines work space or it’s a slop error

What doesn’t move?

The numbers on the console or the Y axes itself?

The numbers on the console (RUIDA) change during operation. The Y-axis does not move the rotary. Without the rotary, the Y-axis does move. I just upgraded LB to the newest version. Now LB will bot run the machine when I push START.

Does the test button in the rotary gui operate correctly?

Do you have a volt/ohm meter available?

There is no button on the RUIDA RDC 6445G that is marked “test”.

I received this message from the manufacturer Redsail:

1. When using the rotation axis, the Y axis cannot work. You must turn off the rotation axis before you can use the Y-axis.
  2. After setting the parameters of your software, send it to the machine, and then click Start on the Ruida control panel to start running.
    Do you know what they are saying?? I have requested a video of the process.

I do have a VOM.

You have no idea how much I appreciate you sticking with this process.

Thanks… most of us want you to get up and running…

The test button I refer to is in Lightburn. My PiBurn uses 5000 steps/rotation, but that’s machine dependent. This is from my fiber.

You have to know how the motor driver for the board is setup… to get the right steps/rotation…

This is a basic setup for a rotary with a Ruida controller.

Good luck

Yes, the Lightburn “Test” function operates the chuck’s Y-axis. “Start” will not operate the laser. “Send” will load the file into the RUIDA RDC6445G control. “St/Pau” on the control will start the program. The head will move to the user set Origin on the X-axis but does not operate the Y-axis. The laser will fire, moving back & forth on the X-axis at the “Origin” point but no Y movement.
Resetting the laser to the flatbed operation, now the Y-axis does not function. Redsail, the machine manufacturer, just communicated via email. They sent a video of a screen on the RUIDA that I did not recognize nor could I find it using the menu or file keys on the control.

This is more fun than learning EZCAD3

Lightburn should handle what needs to be handled with the controller…

You only need to identify the steps/rotation and gear ratio to setup the rotary.

Nice photo, hows your Chinese?

I’ll have to think on this one and come up with some way to isolate what’s going on :thinking: … as for tonight, I’m about to hit the sack…