Rotary line drifting

I have an atomstack roller rotary. I’ve been trying to get it to just engrave a straight image for 4 days now. The lines veer off when it goes to make the second outline. It’s inconsistent. No 2 are alike. I don’t understand why it’s not lining up. All belts are tightened. It engraves perfect when the rotary isn’t in use. I have everything cranked down. It’s a grbl controler, so I don’t have an idle speed or line speed parameter. But I have turned up step idle delay, I’ve messed with acceleration of z and y. Even x just to make sure. If someone could help me figure this out. I’d be grateful. I’m about to toss the damn thing and it’s brand new.

Chad, as a quick test to see if your rollers are slipping on the blue tape, take a cup, draw a + like a large PLUS sign in the center then go into the software and draw a horizontal line about the same length, then frame the image the length of the horizontal line you drew. Mark the left and right stop spot on the cup then repeat several times and see if the stop spot is moving on both the left and right of center. If it is then your cup is slipping on the rollers. If the rollers are made of hard rubber blue tape is somewhat slippery. If that turns out to be the case you can wrap one or two small strips of fine grit sandpaper around the cup away from the engraving area, tape it to the cup and it should give better traction against the rollers.

Thank you. I didn’t think of that one. I’ve been using rubber bands, still nothing. I even tried some blobs of rubber cement for more traction, nothing lol. I even thought of spray adhesive and sand. But I don’t think sand would be good for anything :joy:. I’ll have to try the sand paper. I only started using the blue tape after I used up the 10 cheap glasses I bought.

Chad, If the glass is fairly light it may not make enough contact with the roller. To get around that I use x number of bolts or nuts placed in the end of a sock and the stuff it firmly in the glass with other socks or foam so it doesn’t rattle and it gives it enough extra weight that it applies even downward pressure on the rollers to get better traction.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.