Rotary on Z Axis

I’ve got a laser with the RDLC320-A Controller - a 3 axis (x,y,z).

I’ve recently decided to ft a rotary to it - initially on the y axis with a switch (this was fitted from the factory) but this would mean calibrating steps every time I switched back and forth.

I decided to fit a 3rd stepper driver onto the z axis (it has a manual z axis motor so wouldn’t loose me any functionality). I can get the rotary to turn by jogging the z axis, but lightburn wont let me choose that axis in the rotary setup screen - just the Y axis.

Am I trying to do something that’s impossible here and get lightburn to use the Z axis for the rotary?

Thanks

I’ve had the same problem. Lightburn has no option to select the “rotary-axis”. I fixed the problem with a switch, which routes the output-signals of the controller (Pulse, Dir) either to the y-stepper driver or to the z/u-axis stepper driver (rotary).

Does that controller have a U axes output? Many use that… It’s more common to use Y.

What kind of rotary do you have that you have to make changes to the stepper setup. I just unplug the Y axes and plug in the rotary…

:smiley_cat:

The Ruida KT332N has only a u-axis output, which can also used as z-axis. For my roller-rotary i use a very weak stepper (nema17 1.2 A). This is the reason why I couldn’t use the y-axis driver to controll the rotary (the current would be to high). With the stepper-driver switches, you have to select the same number of steps for the rotary-stepper driver and the y-axis stepper driver.
In my case, the gear ratio still had to be considered.
Gear stepper: 16 teeth
Gear roller: 25 teeth
Ratio = 25/16 = 1.5625
=> 5000 steps * 1.5625 = 7812,5 steps for one complete revolution
This would be the setting for the rotary roller in lightburn.

Didn’t realize you had different hardware hanging off it. I looked up the controller I though they had and I couldn’t read the labeling on it to tell about U axes output.

I have a PiBurn same motor as the Y axes…

Good luck…

:smiley_cat:

It doesn’t have a U axis unfortunately/

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.