Rotary Y-Axis Not making sense?

I have a common black Chinese chuck rotary tool, connected to a laser machine with a toggle switch for diverting control from the Y axis motor to the rotary motor. I feel like I’m missing something simple. The machine itself has Leadshine stepper motors programmed for 4000 pulse cycles. This shows up on the panel as well. I have added this information along with the calipered diameter of the test tumbler (77.9mm) to Lightburn and when I go to frame or run with no power, it’s way out of proportion on the Y axis. 2.5x. However if I calibrate the Y axis in Lightburn (1” → 2.5x, it corrects the issue but not user friendly. No other settings seem to have any effect. I can half or double the steps through Lightburn, or from the controller, with power cycling, and still nothing. Looking for suggestions for better easier use rotary if no answer for this. I’ve combed the threads and haven’t had much success looking elsewhere. TIA

Could you post a picture of the stepper driver with switches position?

Jeff

1 Like

Hey Jeff. I’ll get a photo, but with the reference key, it was only the SW7 switch on the Leadshine stepper motor controllers, which was 4000 pulse cycles.

And your rotary is a 1 to 1 ratio, no pulley

Yes! It’s a pulley type. 4:1?

This is my exact model with only the SW7 switched on on both X and Y axis.

Sorry I misspoke SW5 is on as well. For some reason I was thinking 6,7, 8.

If I’m not mistaken, I see switches 5 on and 6 on so, steps should be 3200 X 4=12800

But picture is not good enough to be sure, Jeff

This link explains the setup…

Ensure you know which direction is on for the motor driver…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

I am not entirely sure. There is a toggle switch that swaps between Plane and Rotary. I believe this is just the Y axis power being diverted to the rotary plugin. I read a comment saying RD6445G uses the “U-Axis” but I think if that were the case it would have a separate stepper driver so I didn’t really look into it. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry that was just a photo of it from the internet. I’m not near the machine. But I verified it at 4000 pulses but I will update it with a photo just so you see what I see.

Just to be clear, did you change the Y steps value to 16000, or it is still at 4000.

If the stepper is set at 4000 pulse, and you have a 4:1 ratio on the rotary, the
new Y value should be 4 X 4000 = 16000. (in the circle pulse field)

yaxis

1 Like

Most of the time, ON is towards the pcb. It’s usually noted on the switch.

If you highlight the question you wish to answer, you’ll have a quote option, which will insert information to create how I started this… Years later there isn’t any mistake about what is what.

I believe you’re correct.

Can use the U axes… yours is clearly not configured that way. You’d have a seperate motor driver for the rotary is this was the case.

Most use the Y axes.

The numbers have to be right. Are you sure it’s 4 to 1 ratio?

You can set the steps/rotation, as on the motor driver… this would rotate the motor pulley 1 rotation and back. It would confirm the motor driver and motor are working correctly.

Everything seems to be where it needs to. I have noticed when I have the rotary plugged into the terminal on the machine, and I’m connected through LB, I will check rotary settings, and do a test. Regardless of what I change the step value or circumference to, Does not seem to have any effect on the test. Is there a sequence or order to properly writing these setting to the machine? I understand that in Lightburn, I would have everything already set up and would only be changing the circumference or diameter of the items being engraved. Thank you again. Really struggling with this one.

Thank you for confirming that. Everything looks like an X and Y. There is no third U axis motor. And the rotary turns in LB when set to Y. I had thought maybe that you was configured and running to the same motor with different settings for the ratio of my chuck rotary attachment. I don’t know if this will make sense, but after marking the top dead centers of both gears, And rotating them a few times, It seems like the ratio is 3.99:1 more than 4:1. I’m just trying to understand how this rotary would work in RD works let alone Lightburn. I intend to know :joy:

Count the teeth on both pulleys. That will give you the ratio.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.