rPi camera setup

I’ve just copied this form my FB group post about it - I figured that since this is becoming the repository for information about Lightburn, it’d be more pertinent here.

So, I’ve been trying to get an old raspberry Pi 1B to stream an image for me to be able to use as a camera on my RuiDa 700*500 laser. I’ve finally (after a huge amount of swearing and google usage) found a really easy way of setting it up with minimal fuss.

Firstly, if you’re using a windows PC, download etcher to be able to install the software image to your rPi. Get the latest stable image of motionEyeOS that’s pertinent to your model of rPi from here: https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/releases
Flash it to the SD card, plug in your camera, let it boot. You can log into it using a web browser aimed at your rPi’s local IP - the default admin password is blank. I used the v1.3 rPi camera module, which seemingly only works at 1280*1024, but it’ll have to do for now. I may upgrade to something newer at some point, but not until after Christmas at this point.

To get your windows PC to see the camera as a local camera, use IP Camera Adapter from http://ip-webcam.appspot.com - unlike IPCamDriver it’s free, and actually works out of th ebox, near enough. I had to put in the IP address and authentication details for the IP camera server, but that’s it - it’ll even autodetect the streaming resolution.

After that, it’s the same process in Lightburn - you’re just looking for MJPEG camera in the camera list.

Hope that’s useful to someone at least. It’s the distillation of a good few hours’ worth of shouting at the internet into a depressingly short guide.

Obviously, the Lightburn-approved camera is the preferable option - I just happened to have a couple of raspberry Pi units lying around, and a spare camera for it. This method should also negate the resolution issues that people had been having with their cameras and Lightburn - not to disparage the sterling work that the Lightburn team has been doing, mind you.

4 Likes

No disparagement taken - We’re providing the cameras mostly as a stop-gap measure until we can sort out the Windows resolution issues, but very happy to be able to suggest other options for people.

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot to add the fact that I managed to dial the resolution right up to the full 5MP of the camera after a bit of tinkering. A second-gen RPi B could support the full resolution - I was using a first-gen version initially, and it would crash if I went higher than 1280*1024. The B, 2 or 3 would work with no problems, as I imagine the Zero would too.

1 Like

any chance you know instance of IP camera adapter for MAC OS?

Provided OS x sees the webcam feed as an actual camera feed, you may be able to define it as the default camera in QuickTime system preferences. Been along time since I did any mac support, so take that with a pinch of salt.

When completing the camera alignment steps, the one requiring you to zoom in double click each of the four points how was the resolution? Mine was pixelated pretty bad when using another non-RPI camera approach.

Mine will now run at full resolution (5mp), so it shouldn’t be too bad. My laser currently stripped down as I’ve got to fit a few new parts to it, but when it’s back together, I’ll double check it for you.

In the Camera Lens Calibration window LightBurn will report the resolution of the captured image along with the score message. If you’re using a “typical” USB camera on Windows, it’s likely defaulting to low res.