Ruida 6445 L-AN1 or LPMW1 for glass tube

Hello everyone, I was just reading though some older posts and saw a question inside of a larger topic that wasn’t answered in the thread. So I am following up on it. The question was:
“The Ruida manual states that for a glass tube it is recommended that you use L-AN1 port at CN5. Should I rewire the connection from “IN” for LPS to L-AN1, or leave it plugged into LPMW1?”

So should the “IN” be coming from port 3 (LPWM1) or port 5 (L-AN1) for a glass tube?

Thanks

This is supposed to cover 644x type controllers. If you follow the lps IN to the controller it’s wired to LPWM1…

My machine came wired this way and I think it’s pretty standard. Either way should work.

:smile_cat:

Thanks Jack. That is how I have mine wired, just saw that other thread and wondered if there was any benefit to have it one way vs the other

I think we are moving away from analog control signals into a more digital tact.

Most micros will produce pwm without the extra circuitry to make it analog… Some controllers don’t have analog out anymore.

@ednisley has messed around with the analog, I think … Hope he cimes in…

:smile_cat:

In principle, it makes no difference: the HV laser power supply will accept either analog or PWM signals. It has an internal low-pass filter to demodulate the PWM into the analog control signal it uses to set the tube current.

However, the controller generates its analog output by filtering its PWM signal, so feeding that to the power supply means it gets filtered twice and has a lower bandwidth.

This might begin to matter when engraving dithered photographs at high speed, where the laser must reach full power and turn off within the span of a single pixel. The double-filtered bandwidth smooths the sides of what should be a crisp pulse and reduces its maximum power.

In round numbers, the shortest good-looking pulse you can get will be on the order of 3 ms. Scanning at 400 mm/s means that dot will be 1 mm wide, which corresponds to an image resolution of only 25 dpi. That we all get decent results at ten or twenty times higher resolution with similar speeds suggests the numbers aren’t everything. :grin:

Bottom line: use the PWM output.

Far more than you probably want to know about bandwidth on my blog:

The linkies there refer to all the measurements & background info.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.