Ruida Board LED Map

Hi all,

Trying to work my way through a number of problems that I assume stem from wiring issues.

Is there a key or map available for the red led lights on ruida boards? Position 14 is blinking, 15 and 9 are permanently on.

EDIT: I have found a key to the LEDs below.

9 - water protection works as intended so expect to see that - upon switching the water cooler on the LED turned off.
14 - the normal running status I guess is ok when blinking - unsure.
15 - +5v power supply, being illuminated does this mean there is an error?

On that controller, the diagram covered by the “Main Board” sticker tells you what you need to know.

For more detail, consult the Fine Manual:

1 Like

This is what @ednisley was referring too.

The rest of them are on the other side of the device label.

Usually the led illuminates when the pin is active. I’m thinking your input is inverted from what’s expected by the description of the WP led’s operation.

What kind of chiller do you have?

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Excellent to know thank you gents.

So the water protection is correct, led is off when chiller is off :white_check_mark:

Why would normal running LED 14 flash on/off?

It seems the rotary plane switch is causing problems as when I toggle it on/off a number of times, my x-axis stepper motor judders like crazy. If I switch it on/off a number of times again it clears the problem.

Occasionally, when I turn the machine on the x-axis judders and again when I toggle the rotary plane switch on/off a shelf dozen times the problem clears.

:thinking:

My assumption is that it’s somehow an indicator that the device is actually running… The truth is you’d have to ask the Ruida factory about that… Mine does that also…

This is why I stated I thought it was reversed…

:smile_cat:

This sounds very much like the stepper driver is having difficulty, perhaps because it’s being hot-switched.

I assume the rotary switch is in the stepper driver output wiring and selects either the linear or rotary motor. If that’s the case, the driver may be protecting itself when it sees a transient on its output, but it should just shut down completely, rather than drive the motor with, perhaps, just one of the two outputs active.

Which makes it seem more like there’s a problem with the stepper driver, as it should Just Work without further attention.

Switching the rotary to fix a startup problem is basically just shaking the dice until a better combination comes up, which should not be necessary.

In any event, your problem occurs at the initial power-on, which suggests either the driver is damaged and doing the best it can or something else is happening. Perhaps the driver is doing fine and there’s a loose wire making a better contact as the switch moves, so checking the wiring (and perhaps replacing the switch) would be a good start. After that, stepper drivers are relatively inexpensive, as such things go, and a replacement would go a long way toward resolving the issue.

Now, @jkwilborn and I have a long-running disagreement on whether hot-switching motors is a Good Idea™. He’s been hot-switching all along and I favor the simple practice of never switching with the power on, so you can argue either way. I know for a fact that turning the power off eliminates any possibility of damage, soooo … :grin:

1 Like

After getting the multimeter to the machine and digging around I found a few things:

The “Open cover protection” circuit has continuity, however, the warning beep and Ruida screen message only alerts when 1.) the lid is closed, and 2.) the switch is turned off (the exact opposite of how it should function - mm hmm, tell me about it…)

Somewhat more importantly, I think, the photo below shows melty things, that specific connection leads back to the rotary switch, which is not connected to anything as I don;t use a rotary attachment (however this is the switch I “hot-switch” to “help” alleviate the x-axis stepper from juddering).

Any pointers to the part number of the black box would be helpful :sweat_smile:

So I’m still working towards something that may succeed. I’ve contacted CW-MOTOR to confirm the stepper motor I require (as it’s slightly different to the Nema 23 I have identified - something to do with gears by the look of another topic here in LB forum). Hoping CW-Motor will have the exact replacement.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.