Ruida controller connection to Mac

I have the same issue, so will follow this with interest. I’ve got a MacBook Pro M1 on Monterey 12.6.3. A PC on Windows 10 connects with no problems on the same cable (though obviously I have to use a USB C to USB A converter). In the research I’ve done so far I’ve seen several mentions of a USB serial driver being necessary, but it’s all very vague from what I’ve seen so far. The most promising advice I’ve seen so far was on this forum, where the contributor recommended doing the basic setup via a PC and then connecting via the Ethernet interface. I’m going to make up an ethernet cross over cable and try that tomorrow and will let you know how I get on.

1 Like

I see from your user info that you’re working with a Ruida Controller and attempting to control it from a Mac. This technical path is a little more interesting than the GRBL controller you’ve been watching so I’ve moved it here to get more eyes on it.

If you’re currently using the Trial version of LightBurn it will allow communication with the DSP controller from LightBurn… No Troubles there.

The sticking point is the voltage levels from the USB port on the Mac and the well-known FTDI serial driver chip in the Ruida controller. At a low hardware level, they’re simply not compatible.

The first recommendation that I’d offer is, if you can run an ethernet cable from your engraver to an ethernet switch (also occasionally called firewall or router) that’s your best bet for connecting.

You should be able to reach the laser engraver on your home network. If the Mac can reach your home network, you “should” be fine.

The second choice for a connection to the Ruida controller is the Pi Bridge.

The Pi Bridge is a LightBurn Product. It was created as a communication device to allow you to connect to your engraver as if it were a wireless printer.

You don’t even have to buy it from us. If you’re handy with stuff like this you can grab a suitable Raspberry Pi from your supplier of choice and load the complementary software yourself.

This product exists because the USB connection between a Mac and a Ruida controller is nearly impossible.

I can only imagine what the team was experiencing that may have fueled this side quest. This is the least cumbersome approach and It works well.

1 Like

Hi Laurence,
I had the same issue with an M1 Mac Mini. I fixed it with an old D-link wireless access point. The device has to have an ethernet port that will allow for it to be connected to the controller and you will have to connect the access point to your local network. Now I can connect any PC to my laser via wifi.
Cheers,
Rob

1 Like

Thank you John, very helpful. I suspected that it might be a missing or misconfigured driver, but if it plain doesn’t work, then you’ve saved me some wasted time and frustration!

I’ve been flat out on my “real” job (I run a book printing company, physical books that is) as everyone wants to clear the decks before the holidays, but have made up an ethernet cross over cable and will try the ethernet connection as soon as I get a spare hour. If that doesn’t work, I know I’ve got at least one Raspberry Pi kicking around somewhere…

Thanks again.

1 Like

Thank you Rob, that’s the route I’m going to take too.

1 Like

Thanks both, ethernet worked fine. Just need to figure one or two more things out and I’ll be a happy bunny.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Does LightBurn Bridge work with the new Monoport Onyx 55W laser?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.