Ruida Controller "hacking"

(For those who wear a I void warranty TShirts)

One thing I would really like to have is a dedicated button for the AutoFocus. Scrolling down everytime might be a first world problem, but it annoys me a bit.

I see there is a wireless remote that exist for Ruida controllers. The remote claim to have programmable function keys. While it’s a bit pricy and bulky for my taste, it seems to suggest there is a way.

Anyone knows of a way to have a physical push button that would trigger the autofocus?

… sort of like you can use the pedal inputs of the controller to trigger the pause/start button.

For WiFi for Ruida- try either one of these: TP-Link N300 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router(TL-WR802N) or TP-Link WR-AC902. I have used the WR-AC902 fofr months.

Hum, ok… but did you manage to interface with the controller in a way that allow you to send custom commands?

Nope, that is beyond my skills. But it is another WiFi networking option available that people may not know about.

The firmware is open source- open-wrt. So someone with skills may be able to hack it.

From what I’ve seen, it’s not very programmable as far as the inputs/outputs…

Here is the op codes

I found this Ruida control for an android phone… never got a chance to try it out…

:smile_cat:

Now we’re talking! Amazing link! That’s the first actual documentation I see for the controller commands :slight_smile:

… at a quick glance it seems you can do almost everything except autofocussing … but I know LightBurn can read and change settings, so I’m sure there’s more to it than what is documented there.

Not sure if connecting to the UDP port would make the controller dump all its actions or if it’s just for sending instructions… Will have to investigate with WireShark when I have time…

Russian video showing the Android app interface:

Personally, I think the Ruida is too stupid to use the Ethernet for anything more than it does now. It seems to just ignore anything else when it’s running a job…

So, to me, expecting more functionality seems just wishful thinking…

I hope you strike gold here… The lightburn people know these pretty well… so post what you find, they may pop in and help you out or advise you you’re on a dead end path…

Good luck

Glad you liked the links… did you load and use the app?

:smile_cat:

Nah, did try the all as it seems a tad sketchy, and the video didn’t seem to suggest it had that feature.