Ruida controller not enough extended space

My wife has an OMT laser engraver with a Ruida controller. It has a print area of 12 x 20 inches. She has been trying to print a 2 x 10 inch area. We get the Not Enough Extended Space message. We know we are well within the area and are scratching our heads as to why this message comes up.

Is it because the speed is too high?
When the carriage goes fast it needs time to slow down and that is what the extended space does.

You can try by burning something at slower speed to see if it still gives this message.

Explained in the LightBurn documentation here: Ruida errors - LightBurn Software Documentation

Also explained further by Oz here: Ruida controller, "no enough extend space" error

I didn’t think the machine could go fast enough to do that in such a small engraving area.
I would suggest you ensure it’s configured properly.

Is one in inches and the other in mm?

Double check the configuration, both of Lightburn and the Ruida. In the ‘Edit → Machine settings’ there are sizes such as x and y limits for bed size you can check.

While you are there save a backup configuration of the controller whether you modify any of the settings or not… It’s a good thing to have a backup :slight_smile:

Good luck …

:smiley_cat:

The issues is not the size of the piece that’s being engraved, it’s where it is on the table. If you place it right on the edge of the engraving area, it will cause this error, as there is not enough overshoot room for the head to change directions.

We placed it centered in the space.

If the controller is configured properly, it cannot do what you are asking. Not enough room to slow down, change direction and get back up to speed going the other direction.

Mine seems to tell me what axes it’s griping about by ‘x slop’ indicating my x axes are going out of bounds. Your error seems to indicate that both of them are out of range.

I still think you are probably not configured properly…

I can easily do a 2" (100mm) x 10" (250mm) piece at very high speed (300mm/s) with no problems. Although I have higher acceleration settings now, I did this before my modifications.

That leads me back to configuration. I run a test of a 100mm square that is filled at 1650mm/s with no extended space message, you can really see the overscan at that speed. I doubt that you are running faster than that. So I’d check elsewhere.

Are you sure all of your settings in both the machine and Lightburn set to the same inch or mm?

You should post the .lbrn2 file and a screenshot of the machine settings.

I’m currently in the middle of a house move, so I’m a bit tied up. :slight_smile:

Thinking about it, I believe you can press ‘enter’ instead of ‘esc’ when you attempt to frame the artwork and get the error message and it will give you an idea of where it’s trying to go. That may be a good clue as to what’s happening.

Good luck

:smiley_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.