Scan off-set in Lightburn

Hi guys, I have a Gweike Cloud RF and have had to set my scan off-set in lightburn for 300mm/s at 1.49 mm to remain inside the object I am engraving. This sounds quite a large scan off-set. Can anyone share what off-sets they are using at different speeds. Gweike online help was pretty vague to say the least.

Hello… welcome aboard…

I believe, scan offset is to fire the laser sooner or later. One laser may fire quickly while another may take longer… they need to fire at the right time.

I think it gets used to correct for mechanical backlash on a lot of these… :thinking:

My machine will run at least 1650mm/s, fun, but relatively not much use. I would think yours should run 500mm/s, but I don’t know…

And, yes the numbers are rather large…

Here is an old screenshot… you can see mine are a bit smaller…

overscan

I had something mechanical (belt) cause the shift above 350mm/s…I think @600mm/s it was around 0.04 or 5…

These belts are timing belts for engines and are designed to go one direction… we are using them kind of off label. When I put a better belt in mine, I got better results… It was also a different drive system…

It’s still back to mechanics… at least I’d start there.

@ednisley has a similar animal as mine… maybe he’s got an idea or suggestion…

Good luck…

:smiley_cat:

For my ordinary CO₂ laser, the offset ranges from 0.0 mm at 50 mm/s up to 0.2 mm at 500 mm/s, which seems typical.

However, the electronics driving an RF laser certain differs from what’s behind a DC-excited glass tube, so I doubt there’s any way to directly compare the numbers.

Do your Line Shift values vary more-or-less linearly from the lowest speeds to the highest?

Except I’d expect less offset from an RF machine…

Me thinks it has mechanical issues… :thinking:

Thank you for answering, and yes the error increases linearly with the speed. Gweike suggest that I do a machine calibration via their online tool but this appears to make very little difference. I am starting to think this may be a machanical issue. As the machine is still under warranty I just wanted to know if these values I am using were acceptable before I contact Gweike customer services again. Thank you for taking the time to message.

Good luck, let us know how it’s resolved…

Take care