Sculpfun S30 Hard limit triggered before reaching full work area

So I have had my Sculpfun S30 Pro Max for a few weeks and I have been doing smaller projects just fine. Today I wanted to make a file that will take almost the entire work area. So I placed some cardstock on my honeycomb and I wanted to make a square on it to show my full work area. I created a 400mmx410mm square and then went to frame it with the laser firing to see where it was going and it went across, then up and it made a sound like it hit the limit, turned left and went back across and sounded like it hit a limit, then it just stopped. I tried a few times and kept getting this result. On the console window it says:
Starting stream

Grbl 1.1h [‘$’ for help]

[MSG:‘$H’|‘$X’ to unlock]

ALARM:1

Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended.

On or near line 8:

Stream completed in 0:12

Grbl 1.1h [‘$’ for help]

I am not sure what I am doing wrong… Is the work area set to the wrong size? Do I have a setting wrong? How do I go about fixing this issue?https://imgur.com/CMSvQRh

1 Like

The information for your laser seems ambiguous.

I see both of these on the same page from Sculpfun:

Expandable engraving area on both XY axes: The S30 series adopts an innovative XY axis expandable design, the original engraving area is about 370x363 mm, but you can purchase a Y-axis expansion kit to expand the engraving area to 935x400mm; purchase an XY-axis expansion kit to upgrade Up to 935x905mm engraving area, which can help you better handle large area engraving or cutting work.

Right-angle measuring ruler
There are precise scale lines on the X-axis and Y-axis to form a right-angle measuring ruler, which is convenient for you to quickly measure the size of the engraved object. The 410x400mm large-area engraving range can meet your various engraving needs.

It’s unclear why they list 410x400 as well as 370x363 on the same page. And it’s unclear if they’re listing that in YxX but that would seem so based on your screenshot.

You may want to empirically test the available size of your laser.

1. Start with laser at home position and make sure get position shows 0,0
  2. Manually move your laser to top-right and creep up to the physical limit. How far do you get before hitting the frame?

Once you establish the true dimensions of your laser you should change the work area of your laser in two places:

1. Edit->Device Settings
  2. Change $130 for X and $131 for Y in mm. You can do this from Edit->Machine Settings or by entering this in Console:
$130=XVALUE
$131=YVALUE

Where XVALUE and YVALUE are the numeric values in mm that you’ve determined.

1 Like

Yeah, I was confused by the website saying 410x400 and also 370x363. When I connected the laser, the default came up as 400x410, and I also saw that on a youtube tutorial for setting the sculpfun up in LightBurn so that’s why I left it at that.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try that as soon as I get home from work today.

We are the ones that read Chinese backwards… so it’s XxY ‘over there’… :crazy_face:

Ran into that with my Woodpecker grbl controller… The X, Y and Z limit input labels on the board were actually Z, Y and X … right to left…

:smile_cat:

They started with naming the full movement width of the axis, but soon realized that the actual working area is much smaller due to the size of the laser module. Better set your firmware to appropriate settings, here are mine:
X: 374 mm, Y: 362 mm
Though, I would recommend measuring the workspace yourself (by jogging the laser with the arrow buttons until you hit or nearly hit the frame).

1 Like

Ok, I tried changing the work area to 374 x 362 (I did jog the laser by hand and this is the dimensions I also got), but I am still having the issue. I drew a square the size of the work area and hit frame and it did go around all 4 sides and back to home this time, but it still says it hit a hard limit… then I hit home and it says its busy and nothing happens. So I have to turn the whole machine off and back on to do anything after this.

Here is the code in my console:

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:00

Grbl 1.1h [‘$’ for help]

[MSG:‘$H’|‘$X’ to unlock]

ALARM:1

Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended.

Be aware that after homing, there is usually a pull-off set (firmware parameter $27). Standard is 2 mm, I think. You need to subtract this from your maximum work area. So if you set the workspace to 374×362 and the pull-off distance at 2 mm, the maximum you can go is 372×360.

1 Like

It’s worth mentioning some switches need more pulloff before they un-click: insufficient pulloff causes an immediate hard limit error, because the switch is still active after homing.

1 Like

Hi do you find a solution? I’ve the exact same problem as you and looking for a solution SCULPFUN S30 PRO issues with homing and strange sound at the edges - #2 by gregH

Can some explain me how to fix as I’m a 2 years old noob :joy:

You need to change the workspace to the actual one. Did you do that?