Sculpfun S9 Expansion - Origin

Hello. I purchased the Sculpfun S9 with the expansion rails. Having never used it without the expansion kit, I’m not sure if I’d have the same issue.

For some reason, absolute coordinates does not seem to work.

I have the physical machine oriented horizontally against a wall with the controller facing toward me on the left side.
-----------------wall here-------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
contrxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

contr represents the controller.

I’ve tried numerous settings and manually pushing it to the corner opposite (against the wall) and then turning on the laser, etc… Unless I use current position I can’t seem to get it working properly. Absolute coordinates. The Sculpfun doesn’t have any limit switches installed.

I followed a previous post on this issue that was closed in Feb but still no go. When I turn on the laser it says x and y are 0,0 yet when I try to move it via the software using the arrows, it says it moves .39 but doesn’t seem to do anything.

Thanks for any help you can offer. If someone has this setup correctly and can show a screen shot of the setup that would be appreciated.

Any help is appreciated.

I’m not sure if I can make sense of the diagram. Normally the controller is located at the front right of the machine. The diagram makes it seem like it’s situated front left and that it’s wider than tall.

This is what I’m expecting. Is this what yours looks like? If so does this picture need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise to meet your diagram?

If so, the green circle represents where the origin is on your laser. You need to start with laser head started in that location. Using Up-Down jog controls will make your laser move left and right according to your diagram. Jogging Left-right will move the head up and down.

Are you saying this works using Current position? But not in Absolute Coords? Do you hear a noise from the stepper motors when you push the button? Could it be that your belts are slipping?

Can you take a screenshot of your Edit->Device Settings?

2 Likes

I think I looked at the x and y as the opposite.

2 Likes

You marked your last post as the “Solution”. Is this now working for you? I would not have expected so based on your current configuration.

Were the width and height detected automatically or this was entered manually?

I saw that the extension kit was sold as a Y-axis extension so I would have expected the width to be 410 and height to be 950. In either case you should put the Origin in the lower-left dot.

No…I didn’t mean to mark it as a solution. I was on my phone and probably inadvertently clicked it.

I will try what you proposed. I thought I had already tried that but will do so again.

Please also make sure that the correct cable is connected to the X and Y ports of the controller based on this orientation.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. I think I have it working. Thanks for your help. The belts are attached correctly I believe.

Thanks!

Even it seems to be fixed already, for the archives, I have a complete guide here, also on how to turn the coordinate systems: Workspace extension kit - Diode Laser Wiki

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.