Sculpfun S9 keeps shutting laser off after few seconds of firing

I am using a Sculpfun S9 with up to date firmware and Lightburn. I haven’t used this laser in quite some time but I never ran into this problem before.
Any job that I start, it only runs for a few seconds (24-57% complete) before the laser shuts off. Everything else still running, just the laser stops.
I have exhausted myself looking for answers.
I read it could be static build up and to check if it is properly grounded. Unfortunately, the Sculpfun S9 does not have a separate grounding wire.
I have also flashed the software back to 1.1.0 as another suggested, but no difference.
PLEASE help provide insight!

Below is ONE of the recorded messages after failure.

Grbl 1.1h [‘$’ for help]

Grbl 1.1h [‘$’ for help]

ok

[VER:1.1h.20190825:]

[OPT:V,15,128]

Target buffer size found

ok

<Idle|MPos’r���b�r���b�r����M�0,0|WCO:0.000,0.0�b�r����j

ok

Starting stream

Layer C22

�ok

�ok

�ok

o�H�ok

o�H�ok

Job halted

Stream completed in 0:15

Grbl 1.1h [‘$’ for help]

ok

It looks like a typical connection problem. Those characters printed in the console show corrupted data transmission. Usually, a bad USB cable (the original cable IS bad) or other electric interference can cause this.
Here are some more things listed that you can check: Guide to mechanical adjustments and maintenance

1 Like

Hi, ty for the reply. I have changed the power cable, deleted and redownloaded everything from scratch, read up on everything on the link you sent as well as others, gave it its own power supply, tried it in different Geographic locations, all the basic troubleshooting tips that are out there I have done however, to no avail, same process keeps recreating itself. I was following a thread that I found on the Forum that dates back to last year and have tried everything the other users have found however, that thread has since been closed and still has not been any resolve. Low power small jobs complete no problem. When I start using more power or larger jobs, that’s when it quits. Almost as if the static charge is actually building as one person suggested however, the Sculpfun S9 does not have a separate ground or anything of the sort to help dissipate if that’s the issue. Definitely seems like a power what firmware related issue but this is holding up production quite a bit and I know it’s still fairly brand new as far as usage and is a fine machine I would just hate to get rid of it because I can’t complete a Worthy job

The strings of text that look like: “½b�r�ᅯ most often indicate poor communication. Upgrading from the cable that came with the engraver to a high quality USB cable with shielding and ferrite noise-suppression beads can really help significantly.

Other Sculpfun users are having success by setting the Baud Rate to 115200 in the Device Settings window in LightBurn.

Sculpfun also released a slightly different USB driver, you can find it here: Setting up the software - Diode Laser Wiki (it has “baud rate compensation” in its name). You could also try that one.
But if only high power kills the laser, the power supply could be faulty. Try another one with 12V and around 5A.

1 Like