Seamless rotary wrap engrave

Hi Bringing this back from the dead.

Any updates on this issue? Would really love to be able to size an object vertically = to the circumference and not have a seam on the resulting engrave.

Is this due to rounding errors in the relative A axis moves? Looking at the G-code A moves typically fall short of 360 but its not consistent enough to produce a correction factor.

absolute cut moves seem to work perfectly.

Anything update at all?

Not yet. You are the only person who’s ever brought this up, so it’s not as high priority as a number of other things in progress right now. It’s logged, and will get addressed - I have a link to this thread (or the other one) in the bug database so I can notify you when it’s fixed.

Just an observation from experience. If the cylinder being engraved is not 100% even in the diameter from end to end then the results will be what @infamous_panda shows in the image.

A perfect example would be a wooden baseball bat diameter increasing above the grip.

Cheers

Sasquatch

Yeah, the issue is not machanical in this case. My rotary is a chuck style so I’m not dependant on the shape or tolerance of the object . The exported gcode shows this gap in code.

Just curious is your piece of wood that your are engraving perfectly cylindrical or is there any variance at all in the diameter ? Rotary device …chuck or cylindrical does not matter if the cylinder, engraving surface is not a constant .

Cheers

Sasquatch

Well it’s a 3/4’ dowel from the hardware store. It’s not going to have aerospace tolerances. Here is the thing. The issue also comes up when we are engraving borosilicate and quartz crystal tubing, which are dimensionally very consistent. The gap were seeing shows up in the G-code Lightburn generates. We do not have this issue with code generated from Laserweb, but that has other limitations. It’s a bug in Lightburn, unfortunately for us it’s a low priority.

Thanks Oz, Looking forward to it. Just as curious. Do you think there is any benefit from running a Ruida/DSP style control. As I understand it those do not generate Gcode files and maybe the processing of the image to raster is different?

I can’t say for certain, as I’m not sure if the issue is in the image sizing, or something in the gcode. I do track precision errors in gcode from rounding, and add them back in as they accumulate, but I need to run some tests to figure out if this is image specific or also vectors, just an issue with rotary, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.