Setting Origins after using CNC

Recently got a used Shapeoko XXL with a 7w Jtech laser. I set lightburn up using Ben Myers setup video and everything seemed to work fine. After a few projects I used the CNC and when I tried to go back it wouldn’t let me return to my set origin, it would try to return to the machine origin.

For context the project I am working on is leather hat patches for hats. I would engrave a square the same dimension as the patch and set my origin as the bottom left of the square and set finish position to +6in Y from the set origin so I could replace the patch with a fresh one and then click return to origin to start the process. Now when I click go to origin it will move the machine origin and I have to move it back to where I want my origin to be. Is there a parameter or setting that I’m missing when I do my $$ setup or a machine setting?

If you are using “User Origin” as your Start From position, and have already used “Set Origin”, to define that origin, then the job will run as expected, but will return to machine origin at the end of the job.

If you jog to where you want to the finish position to be and in the Move window click “Set Finish Position”, the laser will instead move to that position at the end…when you want to run the job again you can just click Start.

However, the “Go to Origin” button is available if you want to jog back to the user origin you created:

That’s pretty much what I’m already doing with it, I just can’t seem to make it work after switching back from CNC mode. I’ll click clear origin, set origin on the lower left corner of a square where I want my operation area to be on it, jog the machine 6” towards the back of the machine, click set finish position and jog 6” back to my user origin and press start to run my operation area outline. It will finish at the finish position, but after I do the process of getting a part loaded and click go to origin it’s going to machine origin instead of my set origin

Use “Clear Origin”
jog to random position
click on “Set Origin”
jog somewhere else then click on “Go to Origin”

…does the machine move back to the origin you set?

It does not, it will return to the machine origin

Hmm, that’s very odd, especially that it was working before and not now.

What is your GCode in the macro for changing to back to Laser Mode?
Does that code look something like this?

“Use Laser”
G10 L2 P1 X-812 Y-812
$32=1
$10=0

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.