Setting up a webcam on Ubuntu

Getting started with the software. My laser is currently on back order so I figured I’d get started with the UI and verify everything else works.

I have a Logitech C920e webcam and it works with the cheese software. When I try to use your software and configure the webcam I get a black picture.

I can provide more detail to troubleshoot if needed.

Bought the Lightburn 4K camera and still displays a black picture.

This camera works in cheese.

Have you run any searches here about that? If you’re not on one of the supported Ubuntu versions you may need to install a different gstreamer level. See here:

I can’t remember exactly what I searched but I couldn’t find anything relevant to my issue. I later found that only the Lightburn camera is officially supported with Ubuntu.

I followed steps in the link provided and it brought me closer to resolution with this issue.

I installed Gnome classic desktop environment and I can now view both Lightburn Camera and my webcam. The video from the lightburn camera is extremely choppy.

Can you quantify extremely choppy? In general I don’t think the video is meant to be super smooth but it certainly shouldn’t be a slideshow. Not sure what the expected framerate is for LB cameras though.

The Picture quality is great however the playback is delayed by seconds reminds me of timelapse. This may be caused by hardware restrictions on this laptop.

I can survive with this. I will use my webcam for now until I get my new build finished.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.