Setting up dual laser support with RD6445G controller

Hello,

Last year I built my own laser cutter based on a RECI W1 tube and an RD6445G controller. It functions very nice but now I want to add a second laser (actually a diode laser to get finer control for engraving jobs).
I enabled the ‘dual laser’ support and ‘laser 2’ via the Machine settings option in LightBurn. Wrote the settings to the RD6445G, resetted the controller, restarted Lightburn. After doing that, I would expect to get the ‘Laser 1’ and ‘Laser 2’ option in the cut window. But it does not show up.

Any suggestions what I am doing wrong?

Go to Device Settings and enable “Enable Laser 2 Controls” and “Enable Laser 2 Offset”. Once you do this the cut settings will show the option for the second laser.

Thank you berainlb. I can now see the options in the cut window!

Great!!!

Please post photo’s of your co2/led hybrid…

:smile_cat:

I concur with @jkwilborn. Exotics are by definition interesting and deserve some visuals.

1 Like

It is my intention to combine my CO2 laser with a diode laser (5-7W) to get better control over engraving jobs. My 75W CO2 laser (that fires at a minimum power setting of 6%), is a bit too coarse when trying to engrave fine patterns.

So now that I know that dual laser setup is supported by Lightburn, I will order a diode laser and add it to my laser cutter setup.

Anyone a suggestion of a good quality diode laser head? I already came along LU2-4-SF from Ortur for example.

This is a picture of my current setup…

My second laser was a Neje 30 watt. Still have it and it still works… Of course I use the co2 almost exclusively.

A photo of the head assembly would be nice…

Very nice machine…

Good luck

As soon as I have a diode laser mounted into my machine, I will post a picture. Give me some time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just ordered a N40640 from Neje. As soon as it arrives I will have a look how I can mount it on my machine + how to connect it to the RD6445G. I hope the interface of the laser diode will be compatible with the RD6445G (PWM/TTL). If not, I will have to dig a bit deeper in the electronics. If anyone has already experience in hooking up a diode laser head to a CO2 controller, feel free to share your experience!

I would think it would be ‘extra simple’… Your only ‘control’ options are supply voltage and pwm control. I would leave it powered up as long as the machine was running a job… control it with the pwm. At least till I figured out what it was doing…

Should be able to run LPWM2 directly to the laser pwm pin… and of course a common ground.

I don’t know how/if you can use LOn-2 or if it would be even needed with an led laser. I know this is connected to the L input of the lps, sort of a ‘supply’ enable and is active low (configurable). Never looked at this on a scope so see how it actually worked during a run. It might take external circuitry to control the led laser supply with this output…???

I have one of Neje 30 watt models.

Hello,

An intermediate update : I received the Neje N40630 diode laser in the meantime and installed it on my laser cutter. Hooked up the L-PWM and GND wires from the RD6445G controller to the diode laser input (take care : RD6445G outputs 24v level signals, N40630 accepts up to 12V signal level, so I inserted a voltage limiter (zener diode based).
To make a long story short : the diode laser works! Only artefact that is remaining, is the fact that the diode laser stays faintly on during idle moves. This probably has to do with pre-ignition (that is needed for CO2 lasers). Will investigate this further. Once finished I will share with you in some more detail the different steps I took.

1 Like

I think you can invert the pwm if that would simplify voltage translation. Of course you’d have to set it back for normal operation.

Have you created a configuration for it?

Kind of bummed… no picture :sob:

I interfaced an ‘active’ low from the Ruida to the input of an Arduino using a blocking diode.

It might be worth a configuration change, since it’s so easy to do with Lightburn

I haven’t fiddled with the pre-ignition, but thought it was basically used for RF excited lasers.

Hello again! A further update after spending (a little) time this weekend on my laser cutter:

In order to suppress the diode laser activation during idle moves, I combined the L-On and L-PWM signals. To be specific, I connected the L-On signal of the RD6445G to a NPN transistor that blanks out the L-PWM signal when the laser is off (when doing an idle move). This works perfectly :grin:

As soon as I find some more time, I will put together all the information in a document and post it on this forum (with pictures :smiley_cat: ).

ToDo : mechanical offset calibration (setting in Lightburn), final construction and mounting of fixation brackets for the diode laser, tidying up the electronics components and cabling.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.