Setting up xTool S1 with new xTool device type in LB 1.7 Beta

This device type does not support the xTool F1 or P2. It does not support ANY network device at this time

You will need the beta version linked here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NlXdR93xibmEnw625vCXf79cPITThy5u

In the new 1.7 Beta we are adding native support for xTool Devices that use serial communication like the D1, D1 Pro, and S1. This bypasses their GRBL compatibility layer and has resolved some of the issues we have seen with these machines like making triangles when rectangles are expected, and moves some functions to native LB buttons like ā€œFocus Zā€ on the S1.

Start by clicking ā€œDevicesā€ in the laser panel, and Click Create Manually in that window.

Scroll to the bottom of the list and pick the xTool device type.

Currently this only works for Serial/USB connections so pick that

Give it a name and the correct workspace Dimensions. You may need to look them up for your device. These are the correct settings for the 40w xTool S1 machine.

Pick the correct origin for your machine. The S1 uses the rear left corner. With this device type I have been using ā€œAuto home on startupā€ with good results. This is the same behavior as XCS.

Click finish and select your new device from the drop down so we can make some changes in device settings.

For the S1 Enable Z axis and Check Reverse Z Direction. Homing X and Y no longer homes Z on the S1, so you donā€™t need to worry about disabling it here. Also, enter a Laser Offset. Mine is Y 27mm

Go to the GCode tab in Device Settings and enter the following in Start GCode

$L
M109 S1
M96 S0
M110 X1Y1Z1
M7 S1

After that your Device should work as expected.

Notes:
To focus the Z you no longer need to use the Macro xTool Provides in their Device. Using the Focus Z Button in the Move window will focus at your cross hair assuming you enabled your ā€œLaser Offsetā€

Home Z
Because the Z homing was disabled from the X and Y homing command, and you may need to home Z occasionally add a macro for it in the console window. Right click on one of the Macro buttons and enter the following

Name - Home Z
M111 S2

Rotary Mode
Because xTool uses the U axis for rotary this setup is a bit confusing. Go to the Rotary Dialog and check Enable Rotary and do your setup as normal. You do not need to pick your Axis as this is done automatically for the S1 in this device type.

Please let us know of any issues you encounter with this device type either here or through support@lightburnsoftware.com.

When sending issues please include all relevant information along with your project AND device (.lbdev) file.

I am including the device file I created for this tutorial as an example.
xTool-S1-40w.lbdev (2.9 KB)

4 Likes

Thankyou so much for this and all the work done by the lightburn team.

3 Likes

Just got my S1 and am having a couple issues with the beta that I wanted to report:

ā€¢ Material Tests donā€™t work, regardless of the settings they simple print a single line across. Like a single pixel line (I know laserā€™s donā€™t deal in pixels, but trying to be clear) (Works in GA release)

ā€¢ Fill + Line starts off right but quickly shifts off by a couple of mm. Giving a sort of shadow/outline effect. (Occurs in GA and Beta)

ā€¢ Iā€™m getting double burns in some areas of my image, resulting in a section being twice as deep as another. This effect is tapered and happens about 75% of the time (Occurs in GA and Beta, does not occur with same file on Elegoo Phecda)

Let me know if youā€™d like me to send any pictures or files to the support email.

Eric

1 Like

I can confirm that material tests definitely work on my machine as they were one of the main issues and I have ran about 100 now.

Iā€™d be interested to see your results and how the layers are set in your material test.

Fill+line has not been an option since 1.2. What do you mean here?

I definitely need more info on your image issue. Your project file so I can try to replicate and pictures of your results would be helpful. Go ahead and email them to support@lightburnsoftware.com and ask them to tag me in the ticket.

This is what I mean by fill + line:

Machine is currently running, but Iā€™ll try another material test here when it finishes. I swear I tried both the Beta and GA, but maybe Iā€™m crazy.

And Iā€™ll pull my files together and send them over to support this evening.

Thanks!
Eric

1 Like

Focus Z appears to use the correct placement for X but not Y. It appears to move to the red cross X coordinate (correct) but approximately + 20 mm from the red cross Y coordinate. I have enabled pointer offset with Y set to 21.52 mm, but I get the same behavior if I turn off pointer offset or set the Y value to 0.

XCS allows you to focus Z with the lid open. In version 1.7 they also had controls for moving the laser head (available from the ā€˜framingā€™ button). Those controls also worked with the lid open. It would be convenient if you could focus Z and move the laser head from Lightburn UI without having to close the lid (if it is an easy fix).

Put a magnet on the lid sensor. Be careful to close the lid when laser is active.

Thanks, Iā€™m aware of the workaround but Iā€™d prefer it to work without sacrificing safety

I have not been able to figure out how they enable movement with the lid open. I canā€™t find any communication between the system that say the lid is open or shut when using XCS, and xTool has not been interested in telling us how that is communicated. Trust me, I am annoyed as wellā€¦

1 Like

Hey Joe, I submitted a ticket on the double burn but havenā€™t received any acknowledgment aside from the automated email. Did it make its way to you? I also did a number of test burns and never had the issue occur in XCS.

Also, perhaps this has been covered elsewhere ā€” but do you think the ā€œmarkingā€ capability of the S1/XCS will make it into Lightburn? Itā€™s pretty great.

I replied just a little bit ago.

Itā€™s not a double burn but a slow down in the speed in certain features. I had seen it before but never was able to so consistently replicate it. Itā€™s absolutely infuriating because its nothing we seem to have control over. There is nothing in the code we are sending to command that slow down and I canā€™t find any difference in the g-code xcs produces versus ours that would trigger it.

For the ā€œMarkingā€ itā€™s just print and cut or the center finder tool in LB. Works the same except they have a couple extra modes. I have be able to use them both by just dragging the head with my hand and the lid open and working through the wizards. It works really well.

Awesome. Thanks again Joe.

Iā€™ll mess with print and cut.

Joe,
I have been following this thread daily since you created it. I have noticed that you have modified the original post a couple of times with additional information. Thank you so much for all of your time and diligence that you have put forward in support of the XTool S1. My S1 and Lightburn are getting along much better now. Very much appreciate all of the effort.

3 Likes

Hi Joe, any feedback regarding the incorrect Y-position that I experience when focus Z?

1 Like

Das ist das Makro fĆ¼r den Z-Fokus, fĆ¼ge das zu deiner Konsole hinzu. Ɯber die Koordinaten kannst du den Versatz vom FĆ¼hler zum Kreuz bestimmen und so genau am Kreuz die Messung vornehmen.

G91

G21

G0 X-21.5 Y-0.5

G90

M368

Ich arbeite immer wieder mit meiner Freundin zusammen am Laser, wenn meine Freundin die Leistung verƤndert und ich wƤhrend dessen den Deckel des Lasers ƶffne, springt LB automatisch von Schnitte/Ebene zur Konsole, sodass sie nichts mehr Ƥndern kann. Wenn die den Deckel schlieƟe passiert das gleiche wieder. Kann man das abschalten? @JoeSpanier

Iā€™m aware of the previous macro-approach, but with this beta version there is a dedicated button in the Move panel which supposed to work

#3 Enable the Lid Detection

Enter the commend ā€œM802 S0ā€ to enable the lid detection.

Isnā€™t that the command for the lid thing ?

• If itā€™s ā€œM802 S0ā€, the detection is enabled.
  • If itā€™s ā€œM802 S1ā€, the detection is disabled.

Question here is to know if these commands are persistent past restart of machine
Not a big deal if one would use User Custome Gcode at start of project
orā€¦ if Lightburn implemented ā€œprofile custom gcodeā€ that coudl be loaded on connect :slight_smile:

Unable to test but should be possible to test i guess