Setting Z axis position

Beginners question I’m afraid. I’ve just started the free trial and using it with a Neje Max 4. This machine has a motorised Z axis. I’ve run the focus test to determine the best value for the Z height but how do I set that height in each individual engraving? There doesn’t seem to be anywhere to enter a value for Z?

In LightBurn, Menus and features can be hidden or disabled by settings to simplify the layout.

Click Edit, Device settings - and under Z Control (upper right hand side) turn on Enable Z axis.

Selecting ‘Relative Z moves only’ may also be a good choice for your work flow.

Be certain to click ‘OK’ at the bottom right to accept the changes.

Does your z axis have a limit switch to enable homing?

With the z axis enabled, you’ll see two active Z controls in the Cut Settings Editor.

Double-click the layer you’d like to set. The Cut settings editor will open a new window.

The Z controls are: Z Offset (mm) and Z step per pass (mm).

This may be worth a look:
https://docs.lightburnsoftware.com/UI/CutSettings/CutSettings-Line.htm

Hello John, thanks for your reply.
Under Edit, Device Settings, Basic Settings in the top right corner I have
Z Control
Enable Z axis - green
Reverse Z direction - green
Relative Z moves only - green
Optimize Z moves - red
and under Return to Finish Position there is an option to set an X and Y position but no option to set a Z position

I don’t think there is a limit switch on either the X, Y or Z axes. When I switch the machine on it returns to the top left corner with the Z axis. There could be a limit switch I suppose but it’s not very obvious and I can’t see one.

Double clicking on each layer gives me the a popup window labelled Cut Settings Editor where I can set Z offset, Z step per pass and Kerf offset so this looks like the right place. Thank you. What’s the kerf offset by the way?

Your link [https://docs.lightburnsoftware.com/UI/CutSettings/CutSettings-Line.htm ] just gives me 404 - Not found error so I hope you can fix that.

Regards,
Kit Jackson

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.