Shape hides another shape: booelean difference not perfect?

Good day to all. This is my first post (just started with LightBurn) and I have an admittedly trivial question. I am trying to show two objects, one on top of the other. The one on top should hide the one on the bottom. I used the following approach (see figure):

• I draw the two objects one on top of the other;
  • Then I subtract the object that must be on top from the object that must be on the bottom, and, therefore, I am left with the part of the bottom object that must show;
  • Then I paste the top shape back in exactly the same position as it was before.

But when I look at the result, it seems as if the line where the two shapes join are two different lines. To “prove” that, I made a union of the two shapes (see right image of the figure) and, indeed, one can see that there are some “extra lines” where there should be nothing.

The problem is that, when I engrave the result (third image of the figure), the line where the two shapes join becomes thicker. Plus, it takes some more time to finish the engraving.

Is there a way to avoid this problem? Or is there another way to achieve the result I would like to obtain (image 3 of the figure)?

Thank you very much for any help you may be able to provide.

Best,
Davide.

use the node edit tool

hover over the arc and press D

this will delete the arc (you don’t need it because the second object will cut it)

now place your second object.

Thank you, Barrie. It works like a charm. Problem solved.

You can also use ‘T’ to Trim, like this:

Select the shape to edit:

Then hover the mouse over the section to remove and press ‘T’ to trim it away until it intersects something else:

You can hover the mouse over the ‘Edit Nodes’ button and press F1 (help) to see all the shortcut keys.

Wow, that is even better!

yes that’s even better , thanks Oz

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.