Sharp Corners Being Rounded by Lightburn

Since the latest update I’ve noticed that some corners haven’t been cutting as sharp as usual. I looked at the preview image and it now seems to round over the corners that should be sharp. There is a node at the corner so it should cut up to the corner before turning back. Speed is 50mm/sec. Maybe the acceleration settings need to be adjusted?

Does anybody have any insight into this?

…I don’t think so. The preview window should give you what you have drawn. I just tried this and could not provoke on my system.
Could you send an lbrn2 file with a shape where the problem occurs for you?

Not anywhere I can test this at the moment but I seem to recall this being an artefact of kerf compensation. Is that an inside or outside corner? Does the radius change if you change the kerf width?

1 Like

It’s the kerf compensation. I set it back to 0.0 and it fixed the issue. Now I just need to resize my drawing to account for the compensation.

Thanks Mark!

I believe the idea is that the kerf compensation needs to make a rounded cut to result in a sharp corner. Note that you’re likely at a very extreme magnification on this Preview.

Manually resizing would require the same type of rounded corner to account for kerf. Doing a straight corner projection for kerf would result in the corner being too far out and would result in an oversized piece. Again, this would be by a small amount so may not be noticeable.

In any case, it’s possible that the “rounded” corner is the right thing to do and will result in a sharp corner.

1 Like

It was quite zoomed in on the preview but the cut at those corners was visibly wobbly when cut. I resized the drawing in CorelDraw using the contour tool, which allows you to choose how the corners react, and removed the kerf compensation in LB. Now the cut is nice and clean.

It’s for an obscurely shaped veneer inlay so the corners need to be bang on.

This is unlikely to be caused by the kerf adjustment itself in that case. More likely something mechanical unable to keep up with the speed around the corner.

The waviness seems to continue for quite a bit in that picture which is odd. Well beyond the rounded corner.

Note that the kerf adjustment in LightBurn is accomplished internally using the same mechanism as Offset Shapes. This is similar to the Contour Tool in CorelDraw from what I can see.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.