Signature area for each user?

I think it would be great if we could have a signature area that could be filled in by each user. For this forum, it would be a perfect place to list the lasers that we are using.

It would serve 2 great purposes.

1 - If people post a question and forget to specify their laser then there won’t need to be replies of “what device/size, etc”
2 - If you can see what other people have, it might allow you to understand who has similar lasers to you when you see their work/results, etc.

Alphageek

3 Likes

Great idea as far as the using the Sig for machines.

Looking into it.

We like the utility of this approach, but signatures can get spammy quickly so we’re going to hold off for now.

I get that part! I can understand I just thought I’d float the idea!

Signatures are so old hat, I don’t see a need for them. If you forget to add it to your post, luckily there’s an edit button where it can be added. Sigs are just a ton of visual clutter, why scroll through pages of convos between the same people and see the same sig each time someone posts anything?

1 Like

I agree with Aaron on this one - Sigs tend to get abused, and become really cluttered looking. Some people write novels.

2 Likes

Maybe profile info could be added to a predefined signature for everyone, such as laser, controller, etc.

That still has the aforementioned clutter problem. The current layout is much cleaner. If you really need to know what laser everyone has, check their profile.

1 Like

This actually works really well, just click on the users name, and it brings up their profile info. Pretty snazzy forum software.

Just tried clicking on my own picture and it truncates the about me section. :disappointed_relieved: Guess I’ll have to rethink the layout the info I included.

Looks like 157 characters.

We can likely adjust that - the forum software is pretty flexible. EDIT: I looked, and can’t find that, so it may be a coded limit, related to database storage.