Slate color when using laser

Not possible in a diode laser, unless they’re combining the output of four lasers at once (the newest generation of diode lasers are clocking 10W output by combining 2 5W lasers into a single box and reflecting the output of the 2nd laser into the path of the first laser to combine their power. (I have one, in the XTool D1).

1 Like

Also Neje has a module like this, a double diode, the A40640

Just a odd thought here, what happens when you scratch the slate with a nail? Do you get the white colour you are looking for, just want to make sure its not material related.

If the scratch is white then we know its the laser or software causing a problem, Have you engraved without a lacquer on top first?

Almost certainly it is not the file, its probably something the laser is doing.

What you could try is to first rule out the software, did the laser come with any software to run it, if so try that, if not download a free basic grbl software or try T2 which gives you a free trial and is good software ( not anywhere near as good as Lightburn) and try that, if you dont get the gold colour then its software related, if you do then its laser related and it could be a fault in the diode that is causing this, it may well work well on wood and only be apparent on stone… Have you tried it also on any other stone materials and see what happens. You could also try dropping up a photo of the same design on pine or ply for us to just check how its lasering…

Thats what I would do is rule out all the possibilities and try and try and end up with the one option …I havent had a chance to read all the answers so forgive me if this has been covered before.

Slate has a variety of chemical compositions. To quote geologyscience.com -

“Slate is particularly composed of the minerals quartz and muscovite or illite, frequently along with biotite, chlorite, hematite, and pyrite and, less regularly apatite, graphite, kaolinite, magnetite, tourmaline, or zircon as well as feldspar”

I’m just guessing here, but I’d suggest finding a different slate and seeing if you get different results.

I’ve been able to get a slightly more grey color by adjusting speed and power. I’m also going to try ordering different slate because these also had a wide variety of thickness in the same pack which also changes things.
Thanks for all the tips.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.