Slow speed and low frequency

Hi all,
I recently became the owner of a laser marker RayLogic Galvo C16 with a galvoscanner (Sino -Galvo RC2808) and an RF CO2 laser tube. I have a specific task in glass processing, which requires flexible settings of laser scanning. In particular, I need a speed of beam scanning by galvo mirrors of 1 mm/s and less down to 0.01 mm/s. Unfortunately, neither EZCad Lite 2.14.16 (BJJCZ board) nor LightBurn 1.4 provide such an opportunity. The minimal speed seems to be about 3 mm/s. Moreover, in LightBurn, for some reason, it is also impossible to set the PWM min frequency to less than 1 kHz, but I need, for example, a frequency of 10 Hz. Is it possible to provide software support for the above parameters?

Can I ask how it is that you know these are the settings you require, if no software exists that will let you use settings in this range?

It’s simple enough for me to allow lower frequencies, but the speed settings are clamped in many different places within LightBurn to specific ranges, partly because we have to choose some reasonable range and precision to allow for entry in the entry boxes. If I change them to allow 0.01mm/sec, it will make the entry boxes several characters wider, and I’d have to check to make sure all the hardware we support allows the range to go that low.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick response! I planned to use this laser for scientific research in glass science. Long ago in our lab my colleagues had a setup with a CO2 laser and stepper motor stage, the speed of which was up to 1 mm/s, but it broke down and now it has already been thrown away. Therefore, based on the specification of the galvoscanner, I assumed that I could continue the research with the purchased laser marker because I need simple actions - fire for a fixed time which can be set by user and laser scanning with speed range from 0.01 to several mm/s. However, as it turned out, at the moment there really is no software that can flexibly control laser machines of mass-market. If I set the value of speed lower than 3 mm/s, the program behaves incorrectly because there is no beam scanning but the status is busy. If you could fix the frequency and expand the speed range (down to 0.01 mm/s), that would be great, and LightBurn could be out of competition as an unique software for laser machines. Thanks in advance!

Hello! Have you succeeded to check the hardware for supporting low speed range? Thank you!

up this topic.

Unfortunately this is impossible. The hardware itself accepts speeds as integer units that represent “thousands of bits of movement per second” (sort of), and the math works out to about 1mm/sec with an 83 mm field. Larger fields will have a larger minimum speed, and since this is the hardware itself, there’s nothing I can do to make it go slower.

Thank you very much for the clarification!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.