Small change in certain font

I’ve had this doubt from a long time ago:
I use the “amarillo” font a lot. It looks nice and is lasercutter and plotter friendly.
However, this has been driving me nuts. Of all the software I use, all of them render the “r” one way and Lightburn renders it with a long curl.

Any idea why this happens?

This version of the Amarillo font has the long lowercase curve.

This one too.

I’m looking for the version that you’re looking for.
This may be it:

I am getting the same thing. I installed the font and in lightburn I get the long “r”, in windows font I get the long “r”. But in corel draw, I get a short version.
Weird?!?

Does CorelDRAW join all the letters?
Does it Print or Publish the lower line?

Corel does not weld them, but I did and still the short one.
Prints the short one and seems it has no idea there is a long one.
Oh, and I did change the the second one you listed.

1 Like

I’ve asked the support team to take a look at this.

Short r
corel
open office
Windows notepad

Long r
Lightburn
illustrator
Windows fonts

This is a strange one.

1 Like

If it helps: I’ve had a little look at the DaFont font linked to above and found there are two glyphs for lower case ‘r’. Glyph ID 26 is without the extra flourish and glyph ID 78 is with the flourish.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

It has to be the way programs interpret special characters.
I did this in corel draw by inserting symbol character.
The second “r” was the insert.

This makes sense.
How do you “see” individual gliph for a certain font?

I used Corel Font Manager but you might not have that available to you. In which case there are font glyph viewers online. Here are a couple I found:

These might not be the best but I’m sure there are many more online as well as installable apps too, just use your favourite search engine :wink:

There is another way, in Corel if you select ‘Contextual Alternatives’ in the text properties docker it changes the standard lower case ‘r’ glyph to the one with the long tail. It definitely looks like LB is using the contextual alternative glyph rather than the standard ones.

Not just lightburn but illustrator as well.

Yes, I noticed you mentioned that earlier. That’s very strange, I don’t have illustrator so I can’t investigate that one.

The strangest part is window notepad and windows font are different.
You would think they should be the same.

I don’t believe LightBurn has any explicit support for ligatures or contextual forms. It’s likely relying on default QT behavior and it’s likely that QT has its own quirks about which form takes precedence.

Ok, so I’ve just been having a bit of a play around with the Amarillo.otf file I downloaded from DaFont. I don’t know whether this will be of any use to @Patico but I have managed to remove the contextual alternative ‘r’ with the ‘tail’. I probably can’t post the edited font file here due to licensing restrictions but I can explain what I did to create it.

1. Open the Amarillo.otf file with FontForge (free font editor).

2. Select lower case ‘r’ in grid.

3. Click the ‘Element’ menu then select ‘Glyph Info…’

4. Select the ‘Substitutions’ section on the left side of the dialogue.

5. Then select the ‘calt’ Contextual… subtable and click ‘Delete’, then click ‘OK’.

6. Go to ‘Element’ and click ‘Font Info…’. Change the names to something that distinguishes it from the original font.

7. Click ‘OK’. You should get the following:
    Click ‘Change’.

8. Now select ‘File’ then ‘Generate Fonts…’.

9. In the dialogue navigate to where you want to save it and click ‘Generate’.

10. Install your edited font file.

Now, I’m no expert in this but it does appear to work!

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.