Smoke from burning on wood

I have an XTOOL laser and it smokes a lot when i am burning a phrase on a cutting board. it smokes my whole house out, it even set off the smoke detectors off a few times. I have it in one of the rooms in my house because it is hooked to my desktop. does anyone have any ideas for keeping the smoke down?

We all run some type of ventilation to vent this through a filter and/or outside…

This is the one I use for both the fiber and the ss lasers… vents outside… but you need air flow to the room.

Good luck…

:smile_cat:

Mine is in a red-windowed box wirh a 12"x12" to 3" duct, which vents to outside via a 3" variable speed duct fan. It is mounted in a utility cart for portability. I also have a shop vac for the milling dust sucked thru a vortex dust collector. The entire setup can be rolled around the house where the A/C works great. Garage is too hot in Florida.

You may read of filter boxes purporting to get rid of the smoke & fumes from desktop lasers.

AFAICT from reports around here, the best filters come heartbreakingly close to solving the problem and will end up costing more than the laser to replace. In some cases, it seems impossible to buy the filter material separately from the vent fan assembly.

So you must vent the enclosure outdoors and hope the neighbors don’t mind.

Sadler mentioned he has an excellent filter system, but the replacement cartridges are over $300… he’s put filter boxes in front of them to catch as much as he can before it gets into the expensive stuff.

This seems to limit how often he has to change out his filter cartridge…

Just my 2¢…

:smile_cat:

About the same as a low-end xTool: I rest my case! :grin: