SN2 40W over burning & overheating on Material test

Hi, I am new to Lightburn made some successful burns with my 10W. I ran the material test and the interval test. Everything worked great. After a little margin issue with myself. Now I set up my 40W and tried to run the laser tests, Interval test, it worked ok. I have included a pic#1 of it and the other test pic #2 . Then the material test is pic# 3 & 4. I get on the control panel message laser temperature 18, laser temperature 17, the laser shuts off during burn and the x y keeps changing until the laser comes back on burns hotter than should and then shuts off again.
I have included screen shots of setup screens.

Picture1
Picture2
Picture3
Picture4
Picture5
Picture6
Picture7
Picture8
Picture9
Picture10

TRYING TO USE Lightburn to cut the following graphic 40w got burned
out board and flames.

Picture11
Picture12
Picture13
Picture14

That’s a new error to me. I can think of several potential causes but not sure enough to offer meaningful diagnostic advice.

Do you have good control over laser power? That is, can you change output smoothly and predictably from 10% thru 90%? (Really, you should be able to have good control from 1% to 100%)

Check your protective “lens”. Usually a plain flat glass window glued into a brass holder that screws onto the hot end of the laser. It is a consumable and must be regularly inspected, cleaned, and periodically replaced if shows any signs of clouding, pitting, or cracking.

The 40W is a brand new head. i’m not sure I tries the material test but that is what caused the issue, or when it showed it’s nasty head. Luban seams to operate it fine.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Brand new mean almost nothing. I have a new in box, never used, 5W head with a damaged lens. The factory didn’t clean the lens and during factory test firing it burned itself up. Waiting on a replacement before I even apply power for the first time.

Check your lens to be safe. These bad burns aren’t doing it ANY favors.

If luban is working and the lens is OK, you likely have a configuration problem in Lightburn.

I’m not familiar with snapmaker, but I’d lean toward an s-value mismatch between the firmware and Lightburn. Let’s see what @berainlb has to say. I believe he knows snapmakers and is certainly more capable at steering you thru this than myself.

Discontinue using Lightburn until you can get some actionable advice. The overtemp conditions could potentially damage your module.

There’s something fundamentally wrong. Are you saying that you can burn without fuss using the 10W but that the 40W cannot be controlled?

Try dramatically reducing power so that the material is barely burned. What are the results? Are you focusing the laser prior to burning?

I have used the 10w and on luben both the 10 and 40 work great. I understand the concern about settings. However I can not find any discrepancy in the setup and or the laser setup? Not sure where or how to look, where do I find the codes to query the laser from control panel?
$$ dose not work for this controller.
Thanks for your responce!

I assume the Snapmaker is running Marlin so GRBL configuration commands won’t work.

How are you focusing the laser? Does othe 40W have the same dimensions and focal distance as the 10W? I assume these differ. If so, you may need to revise how you focus.

Have you tried reducing power? What are the results?

The issue was resolved with turning off the flame sensor M2002 T5 P4096 turns the fire detection off.

Thanks for all the help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.