Spinning Top Laser Cut

I think it doesn’t have enough mass to spin properly… I’m going to try one next year when I have a minute…

The less mass and more air resistance the more likely it won’t spin for very long.

Glue some mass on it (coins?) might help the rotational part.

Looks great …

:smile_cat:

Personally I will not be trying to use it as a spinning top. When I have completed mine I will add it to my display as it looks so nice. Thanks for putting this on the forum. I’m enjoying making it and will be pleased to have it on show.

Thanks Ron, it has been fun & very helpful working with all of you.

Tom

1 Like

This is a great idea, but since it’s not completely symmetrical does that throw off the balance when spinning?

I actually drew another model that takes that into account. It will also be turned 180 degrees. I’m doing a test tomorrow.

I thank @overytom for the idea and original design / drawing.
My model is, as I said, turned and modified.
Fortunately, I have reduced my kerf to 0.025 mm otherwise I will never have been able to assemble “Snorretoppen”.
It’s (unfortunately?) Not suitable for kids in this version, but it’s fun to play with as a magnet nerd. RPM can get up very high …

1 Like

That looks great thank you, I’m fascinated by magnets to.

Good to know that I’m not alone with my magnets :wink:
Even my wife knows that it’s important (for me) when we’re in town shopping, she likes to ask if I have enough magnets, superglue or screw clamps :+1:

I haven’t had time to post the drawing here but will do so later today or tomorrow.

Here is the modified version, based on Tom’s original file. :+1:

Snorretoppen.lbrn2 (77.3 KB)

2 Likes

install some bearings to make it spin easierand it should go wild,The BB on the bottom needs to be a point ,I used to cut off the point of 9d nails and insert them in the hole in the bottom of my top back in my junior high days.oh you want to dull the point just a little,make the centerpiece a hollow dowell and fill it with lead pellets cap it off at the top and the the point of the nail at the bottom,also make the bottom ring hollow and fill it with lead shot also,Is it throwable like the old ones

I have mounted a magnetic ball at both ends, haven’t seen the whole video :wink: ?

Thanks, great sugestions

Hi, could you export file to dxf, my lbrn wont open version 2, the video looks great

:flushed:

Surretoppen.dxf (102.1 KB)

Bonjour, j’ai téléchargé votre fichier je le testerai début Janvier sur une découpe Lazer Atomstack A20 Pro. Je reviendrai ver vous pour les resultas.Bonne année.

Thanks & happy new year to you.
Tom

that worked, Thanks

FYI, your instructions indicate that the green layer should be cut first, but as opened, the red line is the first to cut.

… strange, in Lightburn there is only one layer … as it should be …

1 Like

Looks interesting. When i have time ill give it shot. Let you know my thoughts.

Cheers