Spinning Top Laser Cut

Had this thought last night, if one of you would like to proto type this for me & let me know if it works. If it does it has lots of design possibilities.
tops bbb.lbrn (285.8 KB)

tops bbb.lbrn (285.8 KB)

3 Likes

Do you have a specific application idea for it?

No just think it would be fun for the kids. The .lbrn is attached

Ok, that’s reason enough :slight_smile:
If I can reach it, I will try it tomorrow.

Thank You, that would be great!

Tom

If I don’t get caught up in Christmas tomorrow I will cut for you.

Do I understand you simply want to see if it will work and fit together correctly or am I missing the entire idea?

Is it designed for a specific thickness of material?

:smile_cat:

The file says 0.120 (3mm) materials.

correct, Thank you

.120 ply wood

That is correct

Is there a specific reason you are using the “old” file format for your project instead of lbrn2?

I adapted the drawing to fit the 3.0mm MDF, used my, as usual for tight, kerf settings :wink: and assembled the “Spinning top”. On the tip I used a bit of super glue to harden the surface. I couldn’t get the spinning top to spin with my fingers and I haven’t tried with a cord. I’m taking it to the children in the family we celebrate Christmas with.

For the construction itself, it works fine, however I will add a “stabilizing ring”, see drawing. In order not to make it too complicated, the ring can just be glued in the right position.

I like your design :+1:

A small side effect, as so often I used my LightBurn camera to position the parts on the work area. It is impressive how precisely the system can work if it is properly tuned.

Merry Christmas to you all

Probably because it looks like a Dyson turbine. Wind resistance, especially with the wolf airbrake.

I am going to do one for sitting on a shelf. Looks cool!

2 Likes

No …, it is sure my age -related limited mobility.
With a cord and real handling I think it will turn well. But it requires high rpm

Hi.

I’d make a (educated) wild guess and dare to say it won’t spin -at least not very well- with a cord either.

While it does look fantastic as a static display. the proportions as well as the center of gravity and the center of inertia are far from ideal for a spinning top.

+1
These observations pretty much sums it up.
As cool as the lone wolf (on a snow-bank?) looks, that is the last proverbial straw that will prevent it from spinning because of both the severe inbalance and the air brake effect.

Without the wolf, and the bell-bottle shape inverted, the design might spin for a very short while, but the wind resistance will obviously still be there.

Regards,
Sam

:finland:

Yea, my cutter broke down a couple years back, so I use light burn as my cad program

Thank you, this helps alot.
Tom

Thank You for your observation, you are correct. back to the drawing board.

I don’t think I have seen any open frame tops. They have all been solid body. Maybe make the outer frame parts thin to reduce wind resistance?