Stepper motor issue

Hi,
I’m building a rotary axis based on the Narosenberg design.
I have an OMTECH machine with a DM545A motor stepper’s controler.
I’ve checked the dip swith configuration, and the config is 3.5A full current and 5000 pulse/rev.
I’m not sure to well understand what means 5000 pulse per rev. Does it mean 5000 pulse for 360 degres ?
I have tested with a NEMA 23 motor temporary connected to the Y axis but the motor vibrates but does not run correctly.
I can’t find the datasheet of the DM545A controler (links on the forum no more valid).
Can someone help me for the motor spec please ?
Thank’s

Here are the spec sheets for both (they are PDF files so remove the .txt from the file name). My only suggestion is to set SW4 on the DM545A to OFF (i.e. half current) which will keep them from running hot (at least that was a problem on my machine).
As an example “my” 60W OMTECH with the same DM545A driver and (unsure of the brand) NEMA 23 motors installed, is set for 2.84A (I think 3.5A may be a little high) and 5000 pulse/rev. If your motor is not running correctly you may want to check the wiring. What brand/model NEMA 23’s do you have?

DM545A Stepper Motor Driver.pdf.txt (161.7 KB)
NEMA 23 Spec Sheet.pdf.txt (757.9 KB)

1 Like

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
Something is not clear for me.
5000 Pulse/rev means 5000 pulses for 360 degres. So, my 1.8 deg/pulse will not be compatible.
My NEMA 23 has been bought thru Ali… So it is Usongshine 23HS5628 model.
The wiring is corresponding to the information provided by the supplyer.
A+ Red to Pin 1
A- Green to Pin 2
B+ Yellow to Pin 3
B- Blue to Pin 4

The 5000 is referring to micro stepping, i.e. 1.8 deg times 200 will give you 360 degrees of rotation. The driver allows you to micro step to get smoother rotation. Here is a link to a discussion of micro-stepping on a CNC machine:

Need Help! What Stepper Microstepping setting should I use? (cnczone.com).

In the second post they make this reference to the various options, here is an excerpt:

“With regular two phase steppers of 1.8 degree per step, or 200 fullsteps per rev:
8 microsteps; 8 x 200 = 1600 steps/.rev
10 microsteps: 10 x 200 = 2000 steps/rev
16 microsteps: 16 x 200 =3200 steps/rev”

So, in the case of your (and my X and Y axis) driver settings, it would be:

“25 microsteps: 25 x 200 =5000 steps/rev”

It may be that for your rotary, 25 microsteps is too high. I am by no means an expert on this subject but when I installed a new driver/stepper motor combination on my 50W laser to motorize the bed, I found that a setting of 2000 steps/rev seemed to work best.

I Understand but this setting of 5000 is the setting of my 100W laser. I don’t know if I can or not change from 5000 to 2000 without issue.

I would not be obliged to modify the settings when I use the rotary axis and change when I use the normal Y axis.

Hi,
After several verifications, the issue is solved.
In fact, the motor cable delivered were wrong wired.
By checking and comparing differents datasheet, I have found that A & B were crossed on the motor connector. Even if I had wired good colors on good pins of DM545A interface, the wires green and yellow were crossed on the white connector of the motor.

After good wiring the motor turns correctly in each way.
Thank you for your help

I must apologize for abandoning you yesterday. I’d been scouring the forum trying to gain some Insite into your problem, but I kept coming back to either a bad motor or a wiring issue. I am glad to hear you were able to solve it. I actually had the same problem with a motor I bought, I guess you can’t believe everything you read.

Hi Paul,
No problem, I wasn’t waitting for someone to solve this issue in place of me, but some help and usefull comments like yours.
I wasn’t expected that a new motor comes with wrong wiring and my concerns was just things made by me.
Have a good week end

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.