Stepper Motors humming but not moving. Movement Works OK with LaserGRBL PLEASE HELP!

Below is the script I get when I select and try to frame project from 0,0.

[VER:1.1h.20190825:]

[OPT:V,15,128]

Target buffer size found

ok

<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000>

ok

<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Ov:100,100,100>

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:00

ALARM:3

Reset while in motion. Grbl cannot guarantee position. Lost steps are likely. Re-homing is highly recommended.

Grbl 1.1h [’$’ for help]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

Is it powered?

Yes, power on and connected. I thought first it was an issue with stepper motors or controller but everything works well in LaserGRBL when connected to it.

Can you take a full screenshot of LightBurn for when this is happening?

Did you happen to use the globe icon in LaserGRBL to set an origin? If so, can you send the Console output from these commands:

$#
?

Yes for sure. I’ll be able to do that very soon. Thanks for your interest.

Lew

I did not use the globe icon in LaserGRBL to set the origin,I left it at bottom Left 0,0. See below for screen shot of $#, ?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

I have to hit stop to stop the humming. This time it left 0,0 and went out to the approx center of the graphic but did not frame. Just the humming sound from the stepper it sounds like.

This is the console after I hit stop. The humming was still running when I grabbed the previous screen shot.

This is the console when I just try to move the laser any direction. No movement just the humming. Again I have to hit stop in fear of doing damage. The progress bar goes to about 97% and just hangs also.

Not sure if this is helpful, but it’s the system settings read from the controller. I’m hoping someone with more knowledge can tell me if something is amiss.

Also, Thank You for YOUR Service!! :anchor: :helicopter:

I’m a bit confused by this especially if you’re saying this is working in LaserGRBL.

Is this only happening during framing or does it happen at other times?

Are you able to successfully use the job buttons in the Move window to move the laser head? Do things move as you expect? Left goes left, right goes right, etc?

Do you have limit switches on this laser? If so, does it do a homing cycle? If not, what is your procedure for setting 0,0 position for this laser?

Can you think of any other clues that might be related? Try to describe in detail what the conditions are before the humming+no movement occur.

See above, it also happens whenever I try to jog the head by using the “move” toggles. No movement whatsoever, just humming.

No homing buttons. I move to 0,0 manually then turn on the laser. The software identify the 0,0 automatically.

Before sending command for movement, all seems normal in idle condition in Lightburn. No issues in LaserGRBL, all normal for idle and movement. 0,0 setup same for both. Power down, unplug USB, - plug in usb, power up in different software.

It’s got me stumped. It’s like there is a setting for my laser in Lightburn out of sorts but be darned if I can figure it out. I’ve been trying for a couple days now.

I may have it.

Go to Edit->Device Settings. Did you enable “Auto-home on startup”? If so, disable this. Then I think it should work correctly.

I wish, with no home stop switches on my laser, it is already turned off. Thanks though. Time for me to call it a night.

Lew

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.