Stop from going back to origin after completing the cut

How did you test the user origin operation? I ran a test that worked as I described. It does not reassign origin position to 0,0.

The scenario was a horizontal line 50 mm wide at 200,200. I set the user origin to 100,100. Job ran as expected and did not return to start position.

Here’s the generated g-code. I’ve added some annotations:

; LightBurn 1.0.06
; GRBL device profile, user origin
; Bounds: X200 Y200 to X250 Y200
G00 G17 G40 G21 G54
G90
G0 X100 Y100 ; [This represents movement to origin 100,100]
G91 ; [setting relative moves]
M4
; Cut @ 2000 mm/min, 0.5% power
M9
G0X0Y0 ; [Move to job origin position of lower left]
; Layer C00
G1X50S5F2000 ; [Burn and move right 50 mm]
M9
G1S0
M5
G90
M2

Note: No return to start position.

Yes, exactly. The G0 X100 Y100 is the problem. I need the machine to think that the beginning of the line is the newly assigned global X0, Y0, not a local X0 Y0. I thought that is what the “set origin” button did.

For example, on my Ruida Laser, I can move the head to where the beginning of the line is, hit the “Origin” button on the Ruida, and it now thinks that this new location is global X0 Y0.

I don’t see a way to do this with the GRBL controller. The “Set Origin” button does not assign the global origin to my Selection position. It seems to remain as the original global X0 Y0.

I basically need the exact functionality of “Start from Current Position” but using “User Origin” so that the machine does not return to its starting point when complete.

I understand this isn’t what you expected but can you explain what it is about this specific behavior that you need for your workflow?

What and how does this break what your’e trying to do?

When I hit START, stitching will begin the second the machine starts to move. There is no way to allow the machine to move a distance and then begin stitching at a later point on its own.

The way a longarm works is you move the sewing head to where your first stitch will begin, manually do a tie-off (which is basically a sewing stitch to tie a knot), then when the machine starts to move from that position, it begins stitching immediately.

In that case I think your best bet then is to try to rezero your starting position and use absolute coords. That might be the easiest.

See if this will work:

1. Align head perfectly for start of job
  2. Issue G92 X0 Y0 in console. This should reset your current position to be 0,0. You can set this as a Macro to make this easier.
  3. Prepare stich
  4. Start job

That works as advertised! I created a Macro for it as well and have tested it a bunch of times. I am good to go, at least for a while :slight_smile:

Thank you so very much for the help!

2 Likes

Excellent news. Take some pics of the setup when you get a chance. I’m sure people here will be super interested in your unconventional usage of LightBurn.

1 Like

Will do.

BTW, since I need this action every single time I hit START, I just put the G92 X0 Y0 in the device’s StartGCode section… now there’s no chance of forgetting to reset the coords each time…

Okay, just don’t forget that’s what you did. Or be aware that at times this can cause some unexpected behaviors. Shouldn’t be an issue as long as this is the only way you use this whole setup.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.