Straight lines not importing from DXF

I’m looking at getting a secondhand TwoTrees TS2-20W, so today I downloaded and installed the LB trial.

As a first test, I tried to import what I thought was a simple 2D DXF from Fusion 360. The curves imported, the straight lines did not. Most of the curves were made by filleting meeting straight lines, but I don’t know if that makes any difference in how the DXF is generated.

I’ve done the method of extruding the part, making a sketch of the top face and saving that as a DXF and that imports fine. I’d just like to save myself a few steps :slight_smile:

Does it matter if a drawing is done on the Top or Front planes in F360 ?

No, that shouldn’t make any difference. Can you attach your dxf here so we can take a look?

If you scroll out, you’ll see the straight lines look like they’ve fallen on the floor :slight_smile:

Gearbox Gasket V4.dxf (9.7 KB)

What you’re seeing is the sketch edge-on. Here it is opened up in eDrawings with the view rotated a bit:

There are some parts missing though. Could you attach your f3d file as well? You’ll probably need to append .txt to the file name (i.e. Part.f3d.txt) for the forum to accept it.

I’ve just got to pop out for a few minutes but I’ll have a look when I get back.

EDIT:
Actually, if I open it up in CorelDraw there aren’t any parts missing:

Here’s the F3D. It might not be exactly the same drawing as I’ve been playing with it throughout the afternoon.

Gearbox gasket v2.f3d.txt (55.6 KB)

I’ve exported Sketch1 from your f3d file and imported it into LB with no issue:

This doesn’t appear to be the originating file as there are no bodies. Are you able to attach the original where you projected the face to a sketch?

I had to back date to an earlier version to get the original DXF. Attached are the F3D and the resultant DXF using the extrude/sketch/project method.

Extruded Sketch Project.dxf (4.5 KB)

[Gearbox gasket v4.f3d.txt|attachment]
(upload://1vyRfyCyzVcJyhwHzSyqqpIjIr7.txt) (93.3 KB)

I don’t think the f3d uploaded fully. This can happen if you hit the “Reply” button before the file has finished uploading.

BTW: The DXF you attached to your last post imports into LB just fine:

Good grief!!! I used to trace and cut out Atomic 4 carb gaskets by hand. This would have been so much easier if I has my laser then!

1 Like

Yes indeed, and it makes a much neater job of it!

1 Like

Now I’ve actually opened the sketch in Fusion (and re-read your original post properly!) I realise that this hasn’t been projected from a face (my assumption) but has been constructed from scratch. You actually mention that your original projected version worked ok but I managed to miss that - sorry!

Did you use the “Save As DXF” method from the sketch’s right-click menu…

…or did you use the “Export…” in the file menu?

EDIT:

I’ve since done some testing and found that if you export the sketch from the right-click menu LB will import it as it should (even though it might be upside-down):

…whereas if you export from the file menu you get this, which is what I’m guessing you meant when you said

:

This is the same DXF opened in NanoCAD:

You’ll see that it’s exported using the top level coordinate system so all the geometry in your sketch is in the XZ plane (which is what’s confusing LB. Using the right-click export uses a local coordinate system and exports in the XY plane.

Interestingly FreeCAD gives a similar result to LB:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

First DXF gave me the same strange results.

I can’t remember which method I used but I’ve just gone back to the original drawing version and made two DXFs, one SaveAs and one ExportAs and the SaveAs works perfectly in LB, plus it doesn’t require F360 to use “cloud translation”, so I will do that in future.

Interesting about the co-ordinates. When I have time I’ll do two identical sketches, one on the Front plane and one on the Top and see if the Front one always fails.

As an aside, the SaveAs DFX is 5k, the ExportAs is 88k.

Many thanks for your time on this :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem, you’re welcome.

I was pretty sure the sketch “Save As DXF…” had worked for me in the past irrespective of the orientation of the sketch plane but I thought I’d check just to make sure. I created two sketches, one on the top face and one on the back face of one of my Fusion models. I projected the relevant faces to each sketch, saved each sketch as DXF and imported them into LB.

As you can see, they both came into LB correctly::

Mostly when I’m designing stuff in Fusion that’s going to end up in LB I create a drawing with all the views I need then export that as PDF. Exporting directly from the sketch is of course quicker if you don’t need the drawing(s) for other purposes.