SVG import scale issues (not DPI related?)

HI there. Newb question: I’m generating SVGs via a plugin for Blender. These SVGs open at correct scale in other apps such as Inkscape - but have a odd scale on import to Lightburn. I’m aware of the DPI issue from other posts and have played with the settings - but neither produce the correct scale. I’m attaching 2 SVGs that contain a 100mm square ‘canvas’ with a 10mm square - exported with mm and pixel units respectively - would be super grateful for any insight on these. Thanks!

test_mm
test_px

…also, hate to ask but is there a way to upload an SVG as a file rather than have the image appear?

Perhaps by adding a .txt extension to the file.

By the way, I may be missing it but I only see a single SVG there.

thanks for the tip - though when using the upload, it seems to recognize the sag format regardless of extension. I’ll re-upload the 2 separate files to be safe anyway…

test_px

test_mm

Clever forum… was worth a shot.

I haven’t looked at the second set of files but the first one I’m looking at is 100mm square canvas with a 10x10mm square.

It imports at 37.795mm in LightBurn. What’s not clear to me looking at the SVG code is how Inkscape interprets the size correctly. Just from the stated dimensions it shows as what LightBurn imports at.

Example:

<line
x1=“0”
y1=“377.95276”
x2=“0”
y2=“340.15747”
style=“mix-blend-mode:normal;fill:none;fill-opacity:0;stroke:#000000;stroke-width:0.377953;stroke-linecap:round;stroke-linejoin:bevel;stroke-opacity:1;paint-order:markers fill stroke”
id=“line4” />

You can see that one of the lines is meant to be 37.795 “units” which I feel like should be interpreted as millimeters but I’m no SVG expert. It’s not clear to me how Inkscape is interpreting it correctly so I assume this is related to some sort of convention.

That’s exactly what I’m seeing this end. If it take the correctly imported file in Inkscape, then export it as a new SVG - it still comes out at the wrong size in Lightburn (even trying a few different SVG options on export). Would love to know where those numbers are coming from!
377-340 = ~ 37 for 10mm
377 is also representing the 100mm canvas.
I can’t make 37 factor into any 96 or 72dpi !

Try these 2 options:

1. Copy the shapes from current file to new Inkscape file.
  2. Copy from Inkscape into clipboard and paste directly into Lightburn.

Both of these options worked for me.

Thanks I’ll try that. Ideally I’d not have that step of course - do you have any suggestions for how i could modify the source SVG?

I’m not familiar with the SVG plugin for Blender that you’re using but I’d assume the key would be there.

It’s also possible this is a valid method of defining dimensions for SVG that LightBurn isn’t respecting. I’m not familiar enough to say.

Have you looked at this in settings? It determines the import scaling…

:smile_cat:

In this case that’s not the issue. There’s something else going on resulting in a 3.7x difference in size which can’t be fully accounted for in the import settings.

You’re probably right… who’s generating the svg… Good question to pose to them…

There seems to be all kinds of things in SVG files…

:smile_cat:

OP in this case is generating the SVG but using a plugin to do so from Blender. Not sure of the right setup in Blender+plugin to generate “valid” scale information.

1 Like

Both SVG files can be edited to get the size you want in Lightburn. The SVG files are mixing pixels and mm. In the larger file, change the 2nd line width and height from “mm” to “px”. In the smaller file, change “px” to “mm”. The DPI should be set for 96 in Lightburn.

Good catch RalphU - I hadn’t spotted that. Still I find it odd that Inkscape etc. don’t have issues with the file as is, but at least there’s a simple correction step.
The plug-in I’m experimenting with is called Sverchok - not a lot of options in the SVG output node - but I can certainly escalate to the developer. That said, if other apps correctly read the scale, it’s could be that Lightburn is at fault here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.