SVGnest won't accept SVG files exported from Lightburn

Loads just fine on my side as well. Beats me man.

It is a mystery for Oz to solve!

BTW Windows 10/64 bit

BTW, 04:00am.
time for bed. thanks for all your help.

Can I get a shout out for a corrupt file… :rofl:

(SHOUTING) YOU ARE CORRUPT! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Just as an FYI: Vectric’s VCarve Pro has a nesting function that might prove useful, if you have access to it.

This is a prior notice to all my forum friends: I just found a nesting application that should allow me to select the entire globe then Pick & Place all unmarked $20 bills right at my doorstep. There is no option to exclude specific addresses so keep your money safe and please do not PM me asking for mercy. Sorry.

I myself am partial to $100’s

Hold On Tight!

external-content.duckduckgo.com

1 Like

That’s funny… but still prefer $100 dollar bills :dollar:

DeepNest/SVGnest are cool but i don’t understand some of their solutions.
Green area is cool, red area does not make sense but maybe i am wrong. interesting to test more stuff to see how this app “thinks”.

That’s more like it, though not perfect (two separate islands).

The second nesting is a clear better use of space and material saved.

Yes, it’s all about fine tuning the right settings. it’s not like telling it “just do it”, but more like “do it” but with these guidelines and restrictions. i have limited part rotation from the default of 4 down to 2.

1 Like

It’ll never be perfect - The problem is commonly referred to as “NP-hard”, meaning that it can’t be solved in polynomial time. There are an essentially infinite number of possible arrangements, and there would be no way to test all of them in any reasonable time.

That’s configurable, of course (“space between parts” option). Sometimes you want lines/shapes merged and sometimes you don’t.

In general I recommend using Deepnest instead, it’s a desktop version of the same project and generally more pleasant to use.

Neither of these are very good at nesting “easy” rectangular pieces though - given 6-8 various sized mostly rectangular pieces I can trivially nest them MUCH more efficiently than these programs, but once you have a couple dozen irregular shapes or more then it’s quite fantastic!

Agreed! Most of us can as well… Nevertheless it is time consuming and when you have numerous shapes and sizes on multiple ongoing projects the volume of work created as a result does not pay the return on time invested.

A wise shrewd business man that my father was working for at the time when I was 9 years old told him something and I have never forgotten : “ If you work you don’t have time to make money​:dollar: :moneybag: so hire other people to work for you”. In this. Case nesting software.

Cheers

Sasquatch

Nesting does not help with the majority of projects I do for customers. I lay out their designs on a sheet of material so that a complete set of parts is in the same area of the sheet, making picking them up and bagging them quick and efficient. If I nested to save material, my cost savings would be quickly eaten up in the time it takes to find the individual parts of a project strewn somewhat randomly across an entire sheet. And if you price your jobs intelligently, material cost should be the smallest part of your costs. Your time is the most valuable resource in a production environment. (I have as many as 500 pieces in the average sheet of material on the laser)

Agreed!!!

Intelligent pricing will not lower all our material costs

Not all woods are created equal : Ebony wood, African Blackwood, Sandlwood, Bocote Wood

My favorite is Purple Heart :purple_heart: Wood

Cheers

Sasquatch

I Agree.
Having said that i have a small machine, the “K40” style, so often i need to split parts, laser the parts, and then glue these together so i wish for nesting program to help me out but as you all said - sometimes we humans do things better and faster. it all depends on the workload. i can’t see any 3D printing service provider who prints daily on many commercial SLS machines without the use of a 3D nesting software. no way around this.