Swapping Controller cards in a FS?

I’m not sure if there is a different “model” I should be looking for the the full spectrum is a ProLF 36X24. The chinese laser was a TC-410 until last week when I installed a Ruida 6445G in it? The laser is red and black if that helps(bought off eBay). I was really hoping this kind of swap had been done already but all I have found is a 40W FS swapped to a Cohesion card. I’m sure I will have questions during the swap which I will post here. For now it seems that I have all the info I need to get started.

1 Like

Hey guys, just an update and a question. I’m doing the brain transplant with my FS and on the control card it has jumpers labeled ELX+ and - that plug into a DC24V pin on the card. The Ruida 6445G doesn’t have enough slots for that. Does anyone know how important the jumpers are and if I will need them? They seem a little redundant with the new card.

!
The green jumpers are what I’m confused about. This is from the Chinese laser.

The ELX +/- inputs are unused and tied to + voltage to make the controller happy. They are not needed on the Ruida. The ORGX/Y wires are the home position switches AKA the origin. The equivalent inputs on the Ruida is the LmtX- and LmtY- inputs. ORGZ wire is the autofocus plunger input and on the Ruida I assume it would be connected to LmtZ-.

The image below is from the Ruida manual.

Okay, so here is a follow up question. What about the PUxy? I understand that it is the 5V output but I have nothing to put there if I take the jumpers out. I have 2 grounds and the ORG x/y wires.

Nothing needs to be connected there. It is provided for machines that use optical sensors instead of mechanical switches. FSL uses switches. Just connect the GNDs to GND on the controller and the other two wires to their corresponding limit inputs.

1 Like

Oh, neat. Thank you. That makes alot more sense.

Coming back to this. I have the Ruida 6445 all wired up. However, if I push the pulse on the interface panel the laser does not fire. If I test from the power supply it fires just fine. Is there a step I missed? The FSL do not have a separate switch to turn the laser on and off like the Chinese one we have does. Could the water protect be having some issues? If so how would I locate and correct them?

I just had this issue last week. In order to get the pulse button to work again, I had to press the Min Power button on the controller, without a job loaded, and set the min power high enough to allow the laser to fire.

1 Like

Can I ask what the min power you used was to get it to work? Hopefully that is all that needs to be done here. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have mine set to 6.5% currently.

1 Like

That worked! Thank you! I’ve been scratching my head over this for about a week.

No problem, it had me confused for a while as well when the button stopped working.

So, I got the laser to fire, however now I’m getting a water 1 error. The FSL does not have a flow switch that I can see. Any ideas?

In the vendor settings in RDworks, there is a checkbox labeled “protect” I believe. I’m not near my laser at the moment, but I think it’s in the “Laser” tab. You’ll want to make sure that box is unchecked.

1 Like

You can also just ground the WP1 pin on the controller. Disabling in the settings is probably simpler though.

1 Like

I did not think about the grounding idea. If I still have problems after disabling the setting I will try that. Thank you both.

Ay, the laser will not stop firing now? As soon as the machine is turned on the laser fires, stops when the door is open but that’s it.

The flow switch is the input from the water chiller.

That is what I thought. The laser still doesn’t shut off unless I open the door or turn the whole machine off. I’m not sure how I went from not laser beam to all the laser beams. Probably newbie issues. :stuck_out_tongue:

Take pictures of your wiring and I’ll see if I can spot anything amiss. Double check the connections between the laser PS and the Ruida control board. If the laser fires continuously, that is where I’d start.