Syncronising Libraries and Settings between LB installations

Is there any provision to automatically synchronise material libraries and settings between LB installations?
I’m assuming there isn’t… so is there a way you can tell LB to put the settings and libraries into a specific folder, like a OneDrive folder that would be picked up by other installations?

No such facility like this exists today.

There are some folks that do this successfully by referencing the same cloud storage file on each installation. However, be aware that there are known issues with file corruption with LightBurn and cloud storage solutions with no clear root cause or solution. If you do this I’d suggest making sure you have proper offline backups not relying on the cloud backup.

Interesting, thanks. I’ll just copy the files in/out of OneDrive then for now.

Network Attached Storage. :+1:. I don’t know how I ever lived without it. Getting ready to add another box. I figure 50TB should hold me for a while.

I’m running a proper RAID array, but my son just has a portable spin drive plugged into his router to get the same utility. We don’t much care for cloud computing or storage.

1 Like

I store my Lightburn libraries and design files on a NAS as well (Synology). I haven’t so far (2-1/2 years of using LB) experienced any issues with corruption. However, IRC there are some people here that have experienced similar corruption issues with a NAS so caution is still advised!

1 Like

I’m a Snr Software Engineer, so aware of the different risks for various solutions.
I have multiple layers of backup solutions for the development systems and servers I use.
Sometimes when all you need is a pair of scissors, there’s no need to bring a blow torch. lol
OneDrive’s convenience will do for this particular problem and I might write a tool to make it more accessible to others.
I am interested how this corruption occurs though and which side the issue is on.

I did suggest using Procmon in another thread to see what’s going on and whether any other services etc were attempting to access the file(s) while they were being written by LB. There was no feedback on that so I don’t know whether anyone pursued it. It probably needs someone who’s experiencing corruption issues to investigate.

Opinion: I think the problem boils down to file locking with multiple writers.

If one LightBurn instance writes the file and the others read (and never, ever, write) it, then all readers get either the old contents or the new contents, depending on timing & local caches & suchlike.

If two LightBurn instances write the file, even at widely separated times, heartache & confusion ensue.

I’ve had good results with two Linux boxes sharing designs & library files stored on a third Linux server, but I do updates while sitting at the Comfy Desk and treat the files as read-only at the laser.

By now, remote file locking should be a solved problem, but LightBurn doesn’t have the benefit of well-constrained environments. The jank inherent in mixed Microsoft / Apple / Linux / “cloud” / NAS lashups, coupled with installations done by unskilled admins (*), suggests the problem is intractable.

(*) That would be me.

1 Like

I also have one of these, but I use it to replace the SneakerNet. Anything I do on one machine gets sent to the NAS for copying to the other machines. For a while, the box kept disconnecting, so I let it sit. About 8-9 months ago, I tried again and it works like a charm. Still don’t trust it it for reliability. I don’t think the NAS or Cloud should ever be your working drive.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.