Tabs and Kerf together

Hi,
I wanted to laser a plane puzzle for my son’s birthday so that kids could make them. I used tabs to hold the peaces in place. That way they don’t lose all the peaces immediately. That worked out fine. There is one problem though, my kerf offset does not seem to work anymore.
I tried a plane without tabs and the kerf offset works fine but when I enable the tabs the parts are very loose to assemble.
Im I missing something? Is this an error.

greetings

How large are your tabs, and what is your kerf offset?

@adammhaile - If the tab size is smaller than the offset, I assume that could be what’s happening here? (the search might need the kerf distance added to it?)

Can you explain further. Are you saying that when tabs are enabled and only when enabled the cut objects are smaller than without tabs? Is your kerf offset maybe in the wrong direction?
Can you possibly provide a picture example?

Hi @LightBurn, tabs are 1mm and kerf is 0.1mm
@adammhaile here is a picture of my settings.

To be sure I am going to cut two planes at once with the same settings but one minus the tabs. Lets see what happens.

greetings

1 Like

Sooooo,tried cutting one with and one without tabs. Both were loose. Then I upped the kerf offset. That made it worse. This made me think it was my error and not the error of the software. I changed the kerf offset to -0.1 and that worked perfectly (with tabs). The only strange thing is that before I added the tabs the kerf offset worked and I did not change it. That is what I think but I must have, else this would not happend.
Long story short, it works now :sweat_smile:

thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.