Test setup with point fire

I want to make a test spot with my K40 on acrylic with e.g. 30% power and 10 seconds - ON THE SAME SPOT, is there an option to do it in LightBurn? The test fire function is for safety reasons limited to 20% and can therefore unfortunately not be used.
(I would rather not make a very small circle which then has to have a thousand passes to reach up to 10 seconds)
A temporary lifting of the 20% limit would of course be an optimal solution, but I would also like to receive other useful solutions. I am fully aware of the risks that the test fire function may entail, but as I said, it is for a test set-up that I would like to carry out.

Set a start pause time of 10 sec?

Thanks Hank, I want to try it out right away.

No, unfortunately, 9999ms is max

9.999 seconds is not close enough?? Add some end dwell time if you need to…

milliseconds

You said 9999 milliseconds.

And how many milliseconds are in a second?

I know you have a GRBL controller, but with Smoothieware the test fire function is a single command - fire nnn dddd, where nnn and dddd are power and duration. You can enter this in the console. So for your GRBL setup I would switch the console to Show All, click the test fire button on and off to see what LightBurn outputs, and then mimic that in a macro with a delay. I don’t know what GRBL/LightBurn uses but it might be something like M03S0.2 to switch on at 20% and then M05 to switch off. Just guesses on my part. There’s also a Gcode that will initiate a delay between commands. G4P10000 would give a 10 second delay I think, but you’d have to test/confirm with GRBL specific stuff. So put those three commands in a macro and there’s your test fire to your liking.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your suggestions. I’ll see if I can make that macro, it’s been a long time since I’d been tinkering with these things.

1000 - you are right !!, but then I do not understand why it only stands for a relatively short time on the point, mmmmm I have to sleep over it and look at it with fresh eyes. But 9999 ms is of course 10 sec., Strangely I went over it so fast without thinking properly …

I would like to give you a little apology.
What I myself often recommend to people with questions is to use our own fine SEARCH FUNCTION !!!
I typed in “test fire macro” - and came up with the finest post on exactly this topic - how hard can it be ??? (and the worst part is that I now remember reading it before!)

A little further into the found thread there is a macro which works almost perfectly. I have completed my desired test setup and have been given the information I am looking for. (the result I will show you in another post, a little later)

But one question remains. In the macro, time mode I am limited to “P 9809”, this is the longest time it is possible to use. P9810, for example, performs the macro without any visible time at all, even though in the console everything looks identical.

here the example:

OK
Starting stream
M3
G1 F100 S200
G4 P9810
G1 F100 S0
G0
M5
Stream completed in 0:07
Starting stream
M3
G1 F100 S200
G4 P9809
G1 F100 S0
G0
M5
Stream completed in 0:07

…is there an explanation why the time setting option is limited or is it again just an “error 47”?

Many thanks for your interest and fine help.

I found this post on another forum: Test fire macro – K40 Forum – AwesomeTech

It seems as though the delay might actually be in seconds, not milliseconds, and that it might not be reliable? And maybe using the S parameter instead of the P parameter might give different results? I don’t have a GRBL laser setup, so I’m just throwing it out there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.