The dark arts of swapping lenses

Jack, I’ve got all the parts on hand with the exception of the LW head, and Russ put that in the post earlier this week, so it should be here soon. Going back over this thread I saw the pictures of your engraved “C” series lens tube. Did you do those yourself, and if so, would it be possible for you to share the files? I’m building up a collection of lenses and nozzles, and with the tubes as cheap as they are, I thought I might have multiple lens/tube setups rather than trying to change just the lenses. It would be handy to have each one engraved like you did.

These were done on the fiber with a D80 chuck rotary. You should be able to pull off the same thing with the co2 as it’s only taking off the aluminum anodizing.

Dealing with tubes, it’s more difficult with smaller diameter items… The chuck makes for a good hold, but has limited versatility when it comes to object size.

I did do some 3/4" acrylic tubes for my hv meter and they were done on the wheeled or roller rotary, the PiBrun3. You can see the engraving in the photo, tube above the motor drivers… you really can’t see the engraving and I never go around to photographing the engraving. It was more of an informational text anyway.

Which lens(es) are you dealing with? Here is the 4" and 2" you can use as a starting point for whichever lens you have… I’d suggest creating your own… but I think both of these job files are the operational ones…

4-inch-lens-tube-1.4.01.lbrn2 (257.7 KB)

2-inch-lens-tube-1.4.01.lbrn2 (173.2 KB)

Do you have a mA meter mounted on the machine?

I have both, but I’d suggest at least an analog mA meter for tube current.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Absolutely! It was the first hole I drilled into the machine after the 30 day return period had expired. I have a chuck and lathe style rotary so I shouldn’t have a problem. I’ve done a lot of tumblers and I’m guessing it will be very similar. Thank you for your help (and the files) Jack, as soon as I have all my parts on hand, I’ll start a new thread documenting my journey towards a Russ Sadler-ish new and improved laser. I would love to have his laser tube/M1 mounts, but I’ll have to leave that for another day (I’m sure the postage alone would be astronomical!).

You might want to look at a compound lens for your machine… I get a dot close to 0.05mm, it’s worth it if you need more detail or a smaller dot

Keep in mind the longer the lens the larger the possible dot

My mouse pointer hovered over that one for just a minute, but I ended up getting the NO3 nozzle with the D18 FL38.1 Meniscus lens that Russ recommended. I also have the NO4 and NO1F nozzles so at some point I’ll go back and get the compound lens set (Cloudray gave me a $10 off coupon so I think I’ll use it for that). As I get a better understanding of what I want to accomplish I’ll be able to make an informed decision as to what lenses to get. As always, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I currently have:
D18 FL50.8mm (came with my 60W)
D18 FL63.5mm (currently using this one)

I got these for the lightweight head upgrade:
D20 FL63.5mm (ZnSe)
D20 FL63.5mm (GaAs, on order at Russ’ suggestion)

Jack, do you remember where you got the original of this image from? I wanted to print a copy to keep in my laser notebook but the focus point distances are too small to make out. I was hoping that the original might be a little more legible. BTW, I broke down and ordered the compound lens kit, I didn’t want to let my coupon expire you know :grin:.

I have it in my Russ Sadler directory, so I’d hazard a guess that it’s one of his creations. Here’s the original I have, as is, in pdf form… See if that has enough detail.

Lens Tubes, Lenses and Nozzles Chart.pdf.txt (30.0 KB)

Compound lens kit.pdf.txt (19.0 KB)

Might find these useful.

Beam Checker 2.lbrn2 (12.2 KB)

CompoundLensFocusGauge.dxf.txt (21.0 KB)

mk2 targets and 3mm holder.dxf.txt (68.3 KB)

step-gauges.lbrn (65.3 KB)

Have fun…

Thank you Jack, it was perfect, exactly what I needed. And thanks for all the other goodies, it’s almost like it was Christmas :christmas_tree:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.