The eternal cam question

I hope someone can help me understanding ideal mounting of a cam. I just ordered a co2 with a 900x600mm bed. Since i havent got the machine yet, im not shure of the distance from lid to bed yet, but im trying to read to understand. I tried the help function in lightburn, put in 900x600 mm. the lowest distance lightburn chose for me was a cam with min 500mm something…im shure my distance is way lower than that. do i have to settle with only a section of the bed? I have read several threads here, but when you experts are helping, it get way to tecnical for me. Im from Norway, so my english is not so good, special my tecnical english :slight_smile: so i get lost.
another question in the same theme, i see all new Co2 lasers with cam preinstalled, they are on the middle of the lid. But all youtube vids who shows how to mount the cam, they choose the front edge, any pro - cons? when they choose the edge, you need the lid up, and to be careful that the lid is properly up, so you get the right distance?
sorry bother you guys, ill go upstairs now and start frying my chicken :slight_smile:

Cameras are typically mounted on the lid with the expectation that it will be open when using the camera. With that in mind, 500mm should likely be easily achieved with your setup. But please indicate if you have a non-typical setup.

This is mostly to accommodate the type of camera lens and ability to center on the bed of the laser. Ideally you’d want a camera with the least amount of distortion (ie less fisheye) aiming straight down perpendicular to the bed and centered. The less work the software has to do to correct the image the better.

Some of the newer lasers with built-in cameras mounted in the center of the lid are meant to be used with the lid closed. As a result, they are extremely wide angle lenses which pose their own challenges in terms of calibration and accuracy.

Yes. You need to make sure that the camera gets positioned reliably to the same location and orientation as during the initial calibrations. Any change in position or orientation will compromise the overlay that’s captured.

1 Like

Thx for many clarifying answers, i believe my set-up is quite standard straight forward. It sounds that front mounted cam is the best, with the best presise result. Thanks for your help :+1:

Our 8MP W-85 camera is a popular choice for a 900x600mm bed, but the camera will need to be mounted about 750mm away from where the surface of the material will be, in order to “see” the entire bed, this will probably mean you will need to mount the camera towards the top of the lid when the lid is open, and hopefully this will also place the camera roughly above the centre of the bed.

Thx for your answer, i probably go for that one, but i guess its best to wait for the laser to arrive, so i can measure it properly :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.