To really understand Lasers

I believe Jack Wilborn was the 1st to mention this guy, and coincidentally, I had just found his channel and was watching him when it was mentioned a few weeks ago. He is British and I don’t find he has ‘British humor’, I find him condscending to be honest, but he is enlightening, even if he might sprain his wrist patting himself on the back. He’s an older gentleman, but if you want the science behind lasers and how they do what they do and how, some people are true artisans with lasers, (Nicky Norton for one) it’s probably not a bad channel. It is just not how to use lasers, rather it is how lasers actually work. Be prepared for some long and maybe somewhat boring videos. But, I think it’s worth checking out.

Search Youtube for ‘SarbarMultimedia’.

4 Likes

I have followed Russ Sadler for many years and learned many things from the man. Besides that, I don’t think he’s boring, when the wife watches one Barnby after another in the evening, I enjoy Russ’s ideas and his way of dissecting laser technology for an hour. :wink:

1 Like

same… lost a bit of track on OrangeTiger!

ADHD types, myself included, find slow speech boring. Russ speaks at a rate that allows you to think about what he just said. Boring? Yes. Functional? Also yes.

1 Like

Russ Sadler is my go-to guy for laser knowledge… even if he does put me to sleep with some of his videos.

Jim

2 Likes

Bores me to tears. I may be on a different track to other laser users, but I purchased my machine to make things and enjoy doing so. I have learned all I know from the Louisiana Hobby Guy who has Explained Lightburn in a manner Im able to follow. I appreciate some like to know the technical side of lasers, but it’s way over my head.

1 Like

I’ve also learned alot from Rich. I’ve actually learned more from Steve/Hobo with Wood as far as design and more in depth explanation of Lightburn functions. Which is pretty amazing since he has been doing it for only 2 years or so.

I guess I enjoy making things as much as the next guy, but I am amazed by what lasers, all cnc machines even a cricut machine, can do. And this is not directed in any way against you or anyone in particular for that matter., but most of the common problems people have and ask about…they wouldn’t encounter them if they knew how lasers actually work and their machine limitations.I am still guilty of ignorance.

2 Likes

Point taken, like most drivers are not motor mechanics. Understanding how their cars work could improve their driving. I guess it’s a lot to do with my age (86) that I just want to use my laser without getting wrapped up in the technicalities of how it all works. Fasanating hobby which I wish I had taken up when very much younger. :rage:

1 Like

Play at 1.2x speed… 1.5x speed if you’re on the Dev team. :wink:

4 Likes

Hahaha! I am a Dev type, so thanks for the tip.

1 Like

You and me both. It’s not like lasers are still cheap, well lasers are but not material and everything else needed to safely run them is. You’ve have almost 3 decades on me, and I applaud you. I wish I had the means to get one and knew just the fact we had this tech 30 yrs ago. I am just so amazed the precision. Don’t get me wrong…the first time I bought a mini helicopter ‘drone’ I was floored. It flew. Amazed. My 1st laser same…and I still have that awe.

1 Like

Without doubt, Russ has the best beam alignment videos on YouTube. He actually dispels many rumors and provides true scientific analysis as to why a beam in properly aligned. I would argue that Russ knows more about lasers in general than almost anyone in the business. I’ve personally corresponded with him a number of times and I find him to be fascinating. Unlike most others, he could care less about monetizing his work. He truly wants to impart what he has learned to others. In private conversations he is quick to point out some of the shady people and tactics that exist in the industry. He pulls no punches. Most of the shenanigans deal with laser tubes and lenses. I’d be the first to admit I’ve wasted $$$ on some unnecessary, but highly touted, crap:) The world would be a better place if there were more selfless people like Russ!

4 Likes

30 years ago, none of us could afford one.

:smile_cat:

2 Likes

I just found Steve/Hobo with Wood last night in the video where he teaches how to draw a living hinge using LightBurn. It was just what I needed, a straight-up lesson in how to get it done.

1 Like

A lot of years ago (mid 80’s) I worked as an engineer at a UK shoe manufacturers, K Shoes, the designers had 3D CAD for designing the shoe styles, they could draw on the 3D model. There was a 3D measuring machine to measure shoe lasts to create the 3D shoes last models, and a laser for cutting out cardboard templates for the knife makes to bend the knife material to shape.
This laser ran with a special gas that cost a fortune, it also broke regularly and needed fairly constant attention, it also worked constantly.
All while we in the Jig & Die department had to make do with hydraulic copy mills and manual machines :slight_smile: We did have a CNC engraving machine that I used to program by hand.

Now I have a laser that cost a fraction of this old laser at K Shoes and works as well, if not better, I have 3D CAD and a CNC mill and Router. It does amaze me that I’m now able to have all this as a hobby.

2 Likes

I hear you Ron. Although I am only 72, I too wish I had my own laser when younger. Back in 2010 a friend let me use his Epilogue 45W CO2 at night to run tests on every material I hauled in that he felt were safe to laser. It was like doing research for both of us. But his mother worked there and didn’t like that arrangement , so I became uncomfortable too.

On the other hand, I could not have afforded a laser until now, so I try to focus on that - as well as the fact that I am happily working on a custom vacuum table and will soon own a Roly XW.