Too many passes needed for cutting HELP NEEDED

I got a NEJE Master 2s Plus recently and from one cut to the other the laser started needing A LOT more passes to cut through. I refocused the laser, but still it needs about 30 passes at 4mm/s and 100% power to cut 3mm MDF.
Can someone help please??

If it was a sudden decline and you’ve been cutting MDF then you’ve likely dirtied your lens. Do you have an air assist with a nozzle protecting the lens? If not, this is very likely.

Take a close look at the lens looking for debris or any residue that’s been deposited on it. Clean with IPA and a cotton swab. Don’t use the swab more than once. Avoid letting the IPA dry on its own and dry with a clean swab.

I did clean the lens and still too many passes. I think I broke the focusing dial on the module. I don’t have air assist. :frowning:
Thank you for the swift reply!!

In that case double check focus to make sure it’s still tack sharp. If not, this can have a dramatic effect on cutting ability.

If the dial is in fact broken then try increasing or decreasing the distance of the module to the material until sharpness is achieved. This is easier if you have some sort of height control.

This should at least be able to help you determine if the issue is isolated to the focus dial or something else. Then you can make an informed decision about next steps from there.

I did lower the module and it sharpened the laser. I reduced the number of passes in half, but still it’s about 10-15 passes to get a clean cut. I’m still using 4mm/s and 100% power. The lines are super thin and I have no burn marks around the cut, which is a plus since I don’t have air assist.
Thank you again for your help!!

What were you getting before?

It’s also possible or likely that the laser module has degraded. If you’ve been consistently running at 100% power this could shorten the life of the laser. How many hours would you estimate has the laser been fired?

I was getting 30 passes before. The laser is brand new, less than 4h working. I tried to optimize the focus this morning and even though I have a sharp dot, it’s still taking too many passes at 10-15.

I meant how many was it taking when it was working well? Or have I misunderstood? My understanding is that it was cutting well but had suddenly degraded in performance. If that’s not the case then it’s also possible that your expectations of the laser are higher than what can be delivered.

What is the specific laser module that you have?

Although unlikely, there is a chance that you’ve got a DOA or early failing unit. Let’s assume not for the moment.

No, you were clear. I misunderstood. So sorry! It was taking 6-8 passes. I have a NEJE Master 2s Plus 30w N40630.

That is quite a difference. There are really only a few levers you’re going to have:

1. Focus
  2. Power
  3. Speed
  4. Air assist - we know this isn’t a factor here

If you’re absolutely certain that power and speed settings haven’t changed then that really only leaves focus. If you’re satisfied that you’ve focused as well as possible then that could potentially leave only laser module failure. If that’s the case then I recommend you talk with Neje or the retailer to see if they’ll replace the unit. These are usually warrantied for a year.

I’d suggest taking another look at the lens, however, to make sure that the lens is not broken in some way or still dirty. That still seems like the most obvious issue.

I was having the same problem with my Sculpfun. All of a sudden, I had to increase the number of passes to cut the same material. What I did was install a PC power supply and now it cuts even better than it did new.

Try a new power supply.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.