Too powerful co2 laser?

I might have made my biggest mistake ever…I just ordered my first co2 laser, and i though i would invest in one with enough power, its only 6 months since i bough a 20w diode, so i wanted to go large, and bough a 150w co2. BUT this guy didnt think that i might be to powerful, i read some articles (old, 4-5 years old) that 130-150w and above are more suitable for cutting, not engraving, at least not small detailed engraving…exactly what i need. I want a universal machinne, thats good for both cutting and detail engraving. I really though regulating the power in lightburn would do it…So my question is, is this right? Have i made my biggest mistake?

Nah, not at all.

The current through a CO₂ laser tube determines the output optical power, more-or-less linearly proportional to the percent power setting in the LightBurn layer, so you can set the power to suit whatever you’re doing.

However, each tube has a minimum current at which it will operate, thus setting the lowest power the tube can produce. That current depends on the tube’s:

• Maximum current rating
  • Temperature
There are also peculiarities involved at very low power levels, but those are common to all CO₂ lasers and their power supplies.

The lens also matters, with various focal lengths producing various spot sizes, but that’s likely secondary to a well-aligned optical path with good mechanical setup.

Basically, run a bunch of test patterns to see what the machine does; you’ll likely find it works better than the doomsayers would have you believe and you won’t run into its limitations for a long time.

Worst case, it doesn’t make exactly the thing you wanted, but it cranks out a perfect moneymaker you never expected. :grin:

This doesn’t exist or we’d all have one.

I have a 40W co2. I can do any cutting or engraving on materials of about 10mm. I usually limit my thickness to ~6mm as most of my tests have been for that thickness.

As @ednisley stated, there is a lower limit to where a tube will actually lase. You will have to figure out where that point is with yours. Mine will lase at ~9.5% but I limit the low end to ~10% as a general rule.

My 40W does fine engraving at around 10% to 20% on most materials… such as basswood and acrylic. A shorter lens is better for detail, longer for cutting.

Running at 10%, I’m producing ~4W… If you can run yours at 10% it will be ~15W… almost 4 times what’s needed. If you’re only able to lase at 20% the minimum would be 30W… my whole machine will only produce about 40W.

Power is only useful for engraving deeper, engrave deep enough it becomes a cut… So the main use of high power co2 is to cut.

Use what you have and enjoy it… :grimacing:

:smile_cat:

I have a laser similar to the one you’ve just ordered and the only negative I have found is the price you will eventually have to pay for a replacement tube.

Them biguns ain’t cheap.

So no problems engraving small detailed things?
Yes i though about the tube, so i made a bargain for one extra tube :+1:

Thx everyone for your answers, i might keep my diode for the small details the co2 cant manage :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

CO2 tubes have a shelf life so Wouldn’t buy one until I needed to.

I think i still have a lot to learn :grimacing:. I didnt now that…shipping to Norway is SO expencive so i though i was smart shipping it with the laser. Are we talking months? Years?

Yeah, my negative too. Don’t forget having a big space to put it in.

If you have a 10W diode, 15w minimum is not too bad. Faster will help solve the power problem and is a bonus.

There are limits to how fast a co2 can operate and still be within the lps response time… This isn’t applicable to ssl, just glass tube co2 lasers.

Don’t follow how speed is a bonus…?

Are you suggesting a diode is just as fast?

Your laser may not need a new tube for 3-4 or more years, it depends on the quality of the tube/LPS and how you use it. During that time the gasses in the spare tube will degrade. I have no idea how long the tube will last sitting in storage, it could be months or it could be years. What I can say definitively is that the spare tube that has been sitting in storage for 3 years is going to have a shortened working lifespan than it would have if it were put in service shortly after manufacture.

Yes… It’s actually has a faster response time than a glass tube co2.

Equal output wattage with the same absorbing material the led could run faster and still be within it’s response time.

Now you are going all technical on me. Interesting details!

Hey Robin. There are lots of smart guys out there who get right into the weeds when they talk the technicalities of lasers. I am a laser user, not a laser engineer and I have a 60W CO2 and a 80W CO2 and 4 x 20w Diode lasers. I know that you have not made a mistake. My advice to myself at the time I bought the 60W CO2 laser (my first machine) is what I will pass on to you now. Do you own thing. Learn enough to achieve your aims and whatever mistakes you have made or will make you should consider as part of the learning curve. No need to beat yourself up over spilt milk. The volume of work that I do is presently such that I am considering buying another 2 x 20W diodes. And this from a guy who knows the bare minimum about laser engineering and design. My aim was not to become a laser Guru but to build a viable profitable business. I’ve been at it for 7 years now. Good luck mate.

Hi Collin and thx for answer. I think you are right, find your own way and live after the motto learning by doing. At the same time you get scared using this kind of money so you want the best possible for the investment :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Robin, I bought a Nova 51 100W here in South Africa. The salesman told me that it was way too strong to cut paper with and suggested a way smaller CO2 laser. At that stage I did not know what I exactly wanted to do with the laser and did not even have a clue how to operate a laser. But I knew myself and I like to explore the unknown. I also did not want to waste money on a small machine and then later realize that I made a mistake. Well, this is now almost 2 years later. I did not make a mistake. When I mastered a few skills there was no stop in me. I cut copy paper with my 100W machine without burning it. The engraving is great, and I saw 130W machines with great engraving as well. I guess it is just all in the settings and the different lenses you use. I still do not know everything but love my machine and of course, LightBurn that makes my life easier with every upgrade they do. Enjoy your machine, I think you will be glad in future that you bought it.

1 Like

Thx for your reply, nice to hear that it worked out for you. I have noticed the seller to go on with the production, so in 3-4 weeks i hope i get it :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

100% true.
I have a 130 watt laser and I cut a lot of paper & cardstock templates without an issue.

At what point does your tube lase?