"Transfer Failed" error on every cut after installing lightburn 1.0.06

Hi, just installed the new lightburn software and cannot send a job from my computer to the laser. Am currently using a USB drive to transfer files which really cuts into the day. Tried reinstalling 1.0.04 and it still is not sending files. Tried restarting the PC, trying a different USB port and checking to make sure the cord was not compromised and plugged in on both sides. Has anyone else ran into this issue yet or am i alone in this and henceforth having a non-lightburn related problem?

Thanks guys!

We have not had reports of this with Windows or Linux versions of LightBurn. We have had some issues with newer Macs over USB and have developed a solution to assist with that environment, but you have “Custom Built PC” listed, so I assume Windows or Linux.

Did Windows update? Are you selecting a port from the drop-down in ‘Laser’ window of LightBurn? Are you using a USB hub of any sort?

You can try and load RDWorks to ensure you have the correct driver and can successfully connect and send jobs.

I have the laser connected via USB and the port is set to “auto” and says Ruida 644XS which it always has so I know that it can identify that the laser is connected. I am running Windows 11 and will try the RD works work around now.

I wonder is there a way to cancel all jobs like you would with a standard printer? As it seems like it thinks there is something queued up.

If you go to the ‘File List’ window in LightBurn, and click the Refresh button, do you see a lot of files in the machine?

(to see it, go to the Window menu in LightBurn and enable the File List window if you don’t have it shown).

Ruida controllers get weird when they’re full, so if you’ve never deleted files from the controller, that could be causing issues.

1 Like

I loaded up RD works and it is also getting a communication error which makes me think I have a machine problem. Thank you for the idea on that one i didn’t think to do that as RD works is just absolute garbage and shouldn’t be used by anyone “Lightburn clan 4 lyfe”. Anyways I did just check the “file list” as well and it was blank I went ahead and hit “delete all files” to clear it and there was unfortunately no change. I have had nothing but problems with this machine since buying it so anyone who sees this and is thinking about purchasing from Boss; just go OMTech and you’ll get the same quality of machine for a fraction of the price with just as good of technical support. Oh well I guess it’s time to smack my head against a wall until this thing works again. I appreciate the help guys and I will keep checking in on this post to see if anyone has any other ideas!

Try replacing the USB cable, or connecting directly from the computer to the PC-USB connection on the controller inside the machine case. Sometimes the short extension cable connections wear out (they’re meant to, so you can easily replace them instead of damaging the controller when you trip on the cord).

Not to speak poorly of OMTech, but they are meant to be a cheaper / lower end machine. Boss machines are constructed better and supported better, and you pay for that. (I have a couple OMTech machines, and they have their place - not knocking them, but to say that the Boss machine is the same is incorrect)

Thank you. Yes, trying another ‘known to work’ software is one symptomatic approach that can help in the diagnostic process when trying to isolate and test the major components of lasing.

Cabling, as @LightBurn identifies, is another thing to check as the quality of originally installed cable can vary, and they can fail. Not uncommon at all for this to be an issue. It is worth checking to ensure it is known to be in good working condition and well seated into the connectors. They are not super expensive to replace if required. If this machine is not too old, I might reach back to the supplier to see if they are willing to exchange, if the cable issue is not due to some user induced issue. Might be worth checking. :slight_smile:

Tried a brand new cable that just came in still have the same issue. Going to continue looking at forums hoping someone else has had the same problem but this seems pretty fruitless. But I suppose my American refurbished paper weight can at least still take files via flash drive.

Did you try connecting the USB cable directly into the USB port on the controller? Not via the front panel?

I have tried replacing the cable that came stock with the machine that runs from the back and I have tried connecting directly to the controller via USB. This is just such an odd error especially considering I have cleared the cache multiple times.

Possibly something on the computer side then? Are you able to try a different computer?

I will give that a try in the morning I can’t see it being a computer issue as I have tried multiple USB ports on the same computer. That is worth a shot though i’ll see if that makes some magic happen.

Well, it seems like you’ve exhausted everything on the controller side and in between. But low chances if the ports otherwise work. Unless something screwy with the driver.

Other things potentially to try is to setup USB as packet vs serial or vice versa. Ethernet also if that’s an option. Then there’s always LightBurn Bridge.

Is there a specific way to configure Lightburn with ethernet past just connecting via ethernet cable?

Disregard this I have figured it out and I am in the same issue which probably means I have a controller issue. Guess it’s time to learn how to reset Ruida controllers.

The most obvious way would be to have the laser connected to an ethernet switch that’s attached to a local area network. If you have a wifi router in the room they’ll often have additional ports that you can plug into ethernet devices to.

You could then try to connect to the laser wirelessly or ideally through your own ethernet cable to the switch.

At this point I think i’m probably just going to gut the laser and put in a new controller. Now (and this is my animosity with boss laser) since buying this a year ago I have already had to replace the laser tube had to replace one side of the stepper motors and now it’s looking like a fresh controller. I do not want to put anything that is related to boss laser in this cabinet at this point. Is there a way that I can get ahold of a controller that is a bit higher quality. Like it’s a shot in the dark but could i get a controller that could communicate with trotec, epilog, or universal software? I suppose if i have to rebuild this cabinet from scratch so that it actually functions does anyone know the best way to go about it to make it worth the effort and money I have to put into it?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.