Translation error for 'origin' in the german User Interface

Hi there,

my remarks should please be forwarded to the person in charge of the german localization of the program’s user interface.

The english term ‘origin’ can be translated to german in various ways, of which some are a bit off target, the one that is applied in the german user interface is totally wrong.
The meaning of ‘origin’ (in the neighbourhood of setting the geometrical parameters of the laser / nc device) refers to the origin of the coordinate system, where the X- and Y-axes meet, normally at the point where x and y equal zero. This is called “Ursprung” in german, a term established and in use for ages in mathematics, physics, whereever graphs are plotted, and wherever geometry is essential in a design. Just like the english ‘origin’.

Now, ‘origin’ can also be translated to the german “Herkunft”, which means provenience, the place or area or region of the world where somebody comes from or has her / his ancestors. It has nothing to do with the above mentioned mathematical / scientific / technical meaning.

The english ‘user’ is a “Benutzer” in german, that’s fine. But to translate user’s origin to “Herkunft des Benutzers”, retranslated ‘provenience of the user’ is close to ridiculous, well, let’s call it an unintended pun.

So my proposal is to rework the german localisation, aka translation to offer the user the best possible guidance. This would help make the users’ interface surface more congruent with design environment, where “Ursprung” is the common term for its english sibling ‘origin’.

My suggestion to translate ‘user’s origin’ or ‘user defined origin’ would be “Benutzer-Ursprung” or “Benutzer-definierter Ursprung”.

I have translated quite a lot of user interfaces from english to german, mainly in medical technology, but also in the field of remote sensing, weather satellite image direct reception and processing, so, I claim the right to express my being motivated to point to this translation failure.

I invite the friendly LightBurn staff to get in touch with me via PM and offer my help to optimize the program at this point - and possibly more…

HTH, Cheers,
U.

2 Likes

Hallo Ulrich,

an welcher Stelle im Programm hast du das gefunden ? Im Laserfenster heißt der “Go to Origin” Button “Gehe zur Startpos.” bei mir (V1.3.01) und die Erklärung dazu “… Benutzerausgangsposition”.

Grüße
Sven

Very interesting… Maybe @JohnJohn can route this to the proper area…

I don’t speak German, but appreciate the input… it’s also interesting reading…

Take care

:smile_cat:

Mojn Sven,
rechts unten im Setup-Feld für den Laser(auftrag). In 1.3.0 hab ich es in dem Submenue “Starten von” gefunden, und auch in 1.3.01 ist es unverändert da

lightburn1301_Herkunft20221229_1

Ist mir da gar nicht aufgefallen :slight_smile:

Ich stolperte schon beim Lesen des Handbuchs darüber.

Wäre es nicht höflicher, hier englisch zu kommunizieren?

Yes indeed, it would be more polite to write in englisch. I normally always write english here. But discussions about a german term is somehow difficult in english and our short conversation didnt really added useful things to the starting post, so I decided to do it in german. My apologies :slight_smile:

:sunglasses: ymmv :wink:
Anglicisms in other languages are considered to be an absolute no-go, specially in german. :rofl:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

LightBurn is transitioning from community driven translations to professional translation services in the very near future. We believe that this will effectively close the gaps in translations while greatly reducing transliteration errors of this type.

I’ll make note of this detail and verify that this is corrected when the new terminology lists arrive and are being tested against the user interface.

I am very grateful for your offer to help and I am very likely to accept when our process is further along. It’s currently out of my hands.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.